Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 8:04:12 AM EDT
I can't remember the name of that paint you put on your rifle. The stuff special forces use. Can someone help me out here? Iv'e tried a search,  but i want to call it mecgar or flecgar, or something like that.  (too much hoppes #9) Also if you know where i can get some? I want to go woodland colors, if they make em, or if not, i guess i'll do what they got. A website would help, or if anyone knows of a store in the Hampton Roads area that i could get some.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
bowflage i think you want
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used "Bow Flage" when I could get it.

Normally just use what ever spray paint is available in the right color.

Remeber to go light as you can always darken it up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you spray the spraypaint on your barrel? How did it hold up? I'm looking for a perminent thing, or as perminant as possible
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
SKS, please remember that the SF guys are painting work guns. The finish that they desire isn't permanent, just something to give them an advantage during the crisis of the moment. Big difference between light Green for Africa and a dull brown for ami pajami land.

Team weapons guys will normally have a few cans of paint in the load out boxes that deploy with the ODA. Once the Team isolates and has a clear idea of the mission weapons and kit will be cammied appropriately.

Cleaning the guns will take some of the finish and they will have to be occasionally touched up. After a few paint jobs the guns are usually stripped down (carb cleaner) and then given a fresh camy job.

Paint the whole rifle in the appropriate light color then place ripped up pieces of newspaper over it and throw some dark paint on it.  Again you can always go darker later but it’s a pain to go the other way.

The paint will smoke a little on the barrel but then settle down and be fine.

Watch painting mags as the paint sometimes causes the mag to hang in the well. Paint just the lower portion.

If permanent is what you want then go to  www.shootiniron.com/index.htm. Mac does great work and is dirt-cheap compared to the big names. I've got a 24" bull barrel on a Diamond lower heading his way in a week or so. All around good dude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top