Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2002 7:42:46 PM EDT
I got a Bushmaster upper with a 14.5" barrel and pinned Vortex. I've had it for a couple of months, but just noticed when cleaning it today that there's what appears to be a scratch/groove in the barrel.

It's on the very bottom of the barrel, and looks to be a about a half inch or so inside from the crown.

And it goes against the rifling (sideways instead of forward). I've cleaned it twice with a USGI cleaning kit, but can't imagine it would have caused this.

So is it from the Vortex being pinned on, or what. And if so, will this hurt accuracy?

And if not, does Bushmaster warranty their barrels?

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#1]
it sounds as if they driled the pin hole a tad bit close to the rifeling. i sure would send it back. a friend of mine had a black powder rifle with the dovetails in the barrel cut to close. the rifle blew up at that weak point and he lost his left hand and part of his face.
willy
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, freewilly that's a pretty scary story. I'm glad that hasn't happened with this barrel.

Well I guess I'll call Gunsmoke and Bushmaster first thing Monday see what they have to say. I'm definetely not shooting it again for the time being.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top