Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2002 12:31:06 AM EDT
OK  I know this is going to be a stupid question to most of you but why cant I insert a loaded mag into a bushmaster AR15 with the bolt closed.  I wanted to keep it with a mag loaded but without one in the chamber but I found that this was imposible.  If I cannot keep it this way how should I keep it?  Round in safty on, or magizine out?  tHanks for any help you can give.

Talon_G32
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
What kinda magazine is it?  If its a Thermold, you'll probably need to open the bolt, insert the (unloaded) mag, and close the bolt.  Then work it (the bolt) back and forth a few times to shave off the extra plastic off the feed lips.  If its a USGI mag, maybe the feed lips are bent (too far up?)  If its an after-market steel mag, run over it with your car and buy USGI or Thermold.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Just give it a good smack.  All fully loaded 30 rounders will "resist" being fully inserted due to spring tension & 30 rounds against the bottom of the bolt carrier.  I actually notice it more w/ USGIs than I do Thermolds, but that's just me.  If you are using Thermolds, be sure to follow Gloftoe's advice & break them in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:11:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Also make sure you haven’t overloaded the magazine.  The rounds have to be able to depress slightly when you seat the mag with the bolt forward.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with 199. It's a good idea to load maybe 28 rounds in a 30 round mag for the reason of it not seating and just that one or two rounds less helps keep your spring feeding more reliably.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tips. I should have mentioned,  it is the original 10 rnd. Mag that came from bushmaster.  I have heard that bushmaster uses 30 rounders cut down for there 10 round mags. This seems likely because it has a bend like a USGI 30, where as other 10 rounds mags that I have seen are straight.  Given this info do you still think it is just the mag being to full?  Should I load 9 instead of 10?  This is a SHTF backup incase the Glock is not enough.  A few USGI 30's will be coming soon.  But until then I would like to have something in it.

Talon_G32
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
All the thermolds I have function fine in my Bushy.  The stock 10 rounder from Bushy will have a stiff spring.  I kept mine loaded for a month or 2 emptying it when I went to the range but filling it right away and keeping it loaded at home.  It's fine now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#7]
My bushy does the exact same thing.  You just have to give the mag a sharp smack to seat it.  With the bolt open, it clicks right in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]
you're gong to use a pos bm mag for shtf?  i have one and i've had a couple ftf problems with it.  i'd get a 20rd mag instead-not USA brand of course..if shtf i'd want the most reliable thing i could have.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL he said he's working on a few more USGI.  He probably dropped a bundle on the AR and is recouping...although even though I spent alot on mine I couldn't help walking out with a thermold after I paid for the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top