Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2002 4:11:43 PM EDT
Gentlemen:

I need new ear protection.
I am using indoor &outdoor ranges.
I am considering the PELTOR TACTICAL 7-S.
Can anyone recommend the PELTOR TACTICAL 7-S?
Or can anyone suggest another ear protection?

Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased some ProEars, currently featured on the main Brownells page,

http://www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp

after much input over at The Firing Line.

I got the PROMAG model, which is the model they reccomend for indoor use without double-plugging.  They make lighter, slimmer models, but for extended indoor use they reccomend plugs AND muffs.  No way I'm paying for a gizmo I can't use becasue I've got plugs jammed in my ears.

Can't recall why they're "better" than the others, but I am very happy with them.

One feature is they do not "cut out" when they pick up loud noises, you can still hear range commands DURING the gunfire, but the circuits omit the high decibel noises rather than cut out all sound while levels are high.

Register a Brownells as a non FFL business, make up a name, and they're like $83 off, very reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the styrofoam ear protection. Small light weight, 30-40 dB reduction and they don't get in the way.  Really brings it down to a comfortable level.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Foam plugs provide an NRR (Noise Reducation Rating ) of 29-35.  This does not mean however that you are receiving that much protection in decibels (dB).

" The average NRR on devices sold in North America today is over 22 dB. This number clearly overstates the protection afforded to most occupationally noise-exposed workers. Such NRRs are dangerous because they mislead the buyers and users of HPDs."

Here's why:
www.cabotsafety.com/html/industrial/earlog20.htm

I would strongly suggest that when INDOORS & OUTDOORS you wear both plugs & muffs.

It takes only ONE exposure to unprotected firearm noise to permanently damage your hearing...it may not show right away, but it happens that fast.

See:
www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought some of the Pro Ears Dimension Stalkers and I am very pleased with them.  I have the Dimension 2 models which allow for input from a radio.  I also have some of the kind that "cut off" when the noise is louder than the pre-set level and they drive me nuts, but they work.  The ones that cut out are pretty much useless if you are shooting rapid fire, or full auto as they are always offline.  

Any muff is much better than an ear plug since a lot of sound is transmitted to your inner ear through bone, (don't believe me? -put your fingers in your ears and hum).  The muff covers the ear and most of the surrounding bone structure preventing the transfer of much of the sound energy to the inner ear.

My sister in law is an audiologist and she wears plugs and muffs when she shoots a .22

www.proears.com/
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]
A couple of years ago I was looking for new hearing protection.  I was directed to a local doctor specializing in hearing aids to have custom ear plugs made.  I believe the total cost was about $75 here in Northern Virginia.

Look in your local yellow pages or ask around, most hearing aid companies can have custom plugs made for you.  I wear those along with regular ear muffs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes!  Custom made silicone earplugs are what I use also in addition to earmuffs.  Westone makes some great custom ear protection.

Find an Audiologist in your area that makes these...I've been very happy with mine, although I paid more than $75.00...story of my life though.

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually wear disposable foam plugs along with Peltor's behind-the-neck muffs. The combination of the two does a pretty good job, and the muffs are thin enough that they don't get in my way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Getting back to Friz' original question:

Yes, I have the Peltor Tactical 7's (purchased from Dillon a couple of years ago). I like them a lot. My main complaint is that the battery compartment is a bit hard to access in mine, but I believe that's been improved in more recent models - make sure that you get a set with an external battery compartment door.

In use, the muffs work great. I particularly like them when I'm instructing or taking a class - it's nice to be able to hear my student or instructor without the need for shouting. When taking a class I'll often wear them backwards, with the microphones facing the rear - towards the instructor.

Another advantage of the electronic muffs is at indoor ranges. Most indoor ranges are particularly noisy. I'll often wear foam plugs underneath the muffs, then crank up the volume on the muffs to compensate. I can still hear normal conversation through the plugs, but the sharp crack of muzzle blast is filtered out.

Another couple of advantages of muffs. First, it's been demonstrated that plugs don't function quite as well as tight-fitting muffs, since sound will still penetrate the bone structure around the ear itself. Muffs cover that area. Second, they keep your ears warm! Third, if you keep them by your bedside, and hear a "bump in the night" you can put them on to amplify sounds in the house, as well as protect your ears if you actually did need to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Peltor Tactical 6-S = Badass...  Slightly slimmer than the 7, but work flawlessly.  You will never go back
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your advice.
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you do, don't go cheap. I just ordered a new set of Pro-ears directly from their website www.pro-ears.com. Got the Promag model in black. Cant wait to get them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure how you'd go about getting a pair, but the custom sized military issue ear plugs are awesome for outdoor shooting (or use with double protection indoors).  They're great for me since one of my ear canals is smaller than the other, so I have one that fits each side specifically.  They reduce noise better than most headphones, just by themselves.

They're color-coded for size and come in a tough green plastic container.  Here's the mfg. information: Constructive Workshops, Inc., New Britain, CT 06051

You don't need anything else for outdoor, and you might even get away with them indoors by themselves (but I don't recommend that).
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#13]
AlWAYS WEAR EAR PROTECTION WHEN SHOOTING: I know first hand because I have Tinitis now after shooting 20-30 rounds with my glock and a friends 45 revolver...my glock 9mm was actually louder becuase it was compensated. It doesnt bother me anymore because Iam used to the "ringing" in my ear. For the first two weeks though it was depressing. So take it from someone who knows that hearing protection is in your best interest.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Huh? Wha'd you guys say?

DOH....I saw the topic and this was the first thing that came to mind....I guess I didn't see it fast enough...

LOL!

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top