Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 12:14:08 AM EDT
I am looking for a good bolt action rifle...I prefer something in 308.  I really don't want to spend the $700+ on a Remington 700.

Are there any good bolt guns around $300-$400? (or cheaper) I just mainly want this for deer hunting and bench shooting.

Thanks
medcop
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a ruger in 22-250 that I like quite a bit.  People say good things about savage rifles too.  Shop around...  Nothing wrong with a used rifle.  308 is nice too because it doesn't erode barrels like the varmint calibers such as 22-250 and 223 which makes buying used less nerve wracking...
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard great things about Savage.  Downside is the stock.

SB
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy a Savage, for the price range you are looking you will get a one hole shooter cheap.  The only work you might to do on it is the trigger.  They are usually pretty heavy and rough.  I know a gentlemen who used his Savage to compete in our clubs IBS benchrest matches and always placed in the top 3 in the factory class.  His only mod was to have the trigger smoothed out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I just went shopping for a bolt gun in 300 Win Mag. Compared to my Remington 722 the new guns are very shabby. The 722 was made in 1951. I have decided I am going to get an old used bolt gun. There should be many out there that are like new since they were purchased for deer hunting and that is only once a year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a Winchester Model 70 from Wally world that works aewsome with hand loads. With a scope, it was like 350$.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been saving up to buy a Savage 10FP in .308. I had been saving up to get a Remington 700 but the Savage will be in my hands a lot sooner. Plus it'll leave me money for a better scope.

I read somewhere that Jerry Miculek uses a Savage. While I'm sure that he's had his well tuned, if the basic rifle is good enough for him, it's got to be more than good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Back in the fall I bought a new Remington Model 700 ADL Synthetic in .30-06 that I think is great.  It is very accurate, looks good, feels good, and it was way under $700.

I have fired Savage bolt guns before and they're nice too, they just don't have as nice a stock or trigger as a Remington 700 IMHO.  Very good for the money though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Savage 10FP - Best buy in a .308 bolt gun out there.  I shot a friend's and was suitably impressed.  And I have also heard many good things about them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]
A real sleeper is the CZ model 550 in the American Classic configuration. It comes with a factory single set trigger that is fully adjustable. I have several CZ model 527's with the same trigger, and you talk about accuracy! The 550 goes for around $450, it's a steal!

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Savage 10FP.
IMO: One of the best shooting “out-of-the-box” bolt rifles you can find that is widely available, AND under $500.

My friend picked one up in .308W for $429 last August.  We mounted an inexpensive Nikon scope on it with Leupold mounts.  
We got it sighted in while properly breaking in the barrel with routine barrel swabbings using some J-B bore cleaner.
My friend got it adjusted to where he wanted it at 100yds. Before I would consider that the barrel was even fully broke in; my FIRST 3-shot group with the rifle was sub 1" with factory Winchester CXP ammo. I then shot a consecutive three shot group where all the holes were touching. I was very impressed with the factory trigger and the rifle in general.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I will also throw in my vote for the Savage. I had a roommate who owned one and it shot real well (22-250 put five shots into an area you could cover with a nickle straight out of box). I remember reading an article in "Precision Shooting" where the bench rest competitors were impressed with it. The secret to their success is in the adjustable head-space nut and the bolt face. Two things that must be replaced:

1. the flimsy milk jug plastic stock
2. the very heavy trigger pull.

Karl
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#12]
If you can find one, the Howa also has a good reputation.  

However, if accuracy is an issue (and when isn’t it?), the Savage seems to be the best way to go.  Personally, I’d get one with a wood stock – not the flimsy synthetic one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the Savage here. 10FP is one option or you could go with the 12BVSS. You will not be sorry you bought the Savage if accuracy is what you are after.

The Savage factory trigger can be adjusted if you have a bit of mechanical inclination.

www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage/

www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html

Excellent articles.

If you would rather go with a replacement then SharpShooter Supply offers a superb trigger for Savage. Adjustable down to 12 oz with a functional safety and it is creep free. Breaks like glass. $85 out the door.

I have no affiliation with SharpShooter other than I am a very satisfied customer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#14]
What type of stock would one replace the factory one with?  I would like to stay synthetic..who makes a good one?

Is there any model of savage in 308 I should stay away from?

medcop
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:55:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What type of stock would one replace the factory one with?  I would like to stay synthetic..who makes a good one?

Is there any model of savage in 308 I should stay away from?

medcop

Choate makes a varminter and a sniper model and SSS also offers synthetic stocks in many different configs. I have two varminter style stocks from SSS and am very pleased with them. $229 for the SSS stocks, last time I looked at the Choates they ran $179.

I'm sure there other offerings but none come to mind right now.

The stock on the BVSS isn't bad.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#16]
If you realy want to lowball it, you could pick up one of the 98K,s that R Guns is selling.They were converted to .308 by Israeli Gov. $129 ea
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Medcop
I'm picking up a couple of Savage M11 short action .308s for just that purpose.  Comes with case, syn stock, 3x9x40 scope, rails, sling and matte finish.  All ready to go.  They run around $350 wholesale  when they come in.  I looked at the Remington 700 and 710 and believe the Savage will give fine performance.  I'm not looking to put 10 shots into a dime.  I just want to hit a deer out at a few hundred yards.  I have an FFL and you can see where I live.  I don't do it for profit, just for friends and family.  If interested, contact me by email.  Maybe we can get a weekend to shoot somewhere in the empty plains.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have heard great things about Savage.  Downside is the stock.

SB

I read somewhere (Assaultweb?) of a shooter that routed out and filled the forend with Bondo.  It stiffend up the forend, and gave it a little more weight.  If I was going that route, I would probably look into bedding the receiver, too.  And make sure that the barrel was floated a little higher as a result, say 1/16th inch.  No "dollar bill" gap, that isn't enough to account for barrel vibration.  Bondo is cheap.  I believe bedding epoxy is reasonably cheap, as is Pam (for release agent when bedding), and your own sweat equity is least expensive of all, if you like to tinker...

Otherwise, MPI (?) makes inexpensive fiberglass stocks...
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Wal-Mart has Win. Model 70s and Rem. Model 700s for under $400.  Depending on your area, it might be difficult to find a 308.  They tend to stock the more popular deer calibers like '06, 300 Mag, etc.  There is nothing wrong with those calibers though.

You will probably get equivalent accuracy with the Savage, Remington and Winchester, but the latter two are easier to customize (as far as parts and expertise) if you decide you want to upgrade your rifle later.  Plus, Savages are uuuuuuugly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top