Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2002 2:53:36 PM EDT
Well, here's my problem. I just bought an Oly. shorty upper, with Knights rail,on a flat top Alcoa upper. It did not have a bolt or carrier, so I used a colt bolt and carrier . I mounted it on my colt lower with tele-stock. Now, the problem is, when I chamber a round, then try to eject it, the bolt won't budge without pulling on the charging handle quite hard. This doesn't happen every time. WTF!   Please help.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are a few things to try. First, with the upper hinged open or off all together slide the bolt back and forth in the upper reciever by hand feeling for binding. Should be very smooth with no resistance from either the gas tube meeting the gas key and the lugs on the bolt locking up with the barrel extension. Then try cycling it by hand again without any rounds as above but with the lower connected to check for binding in the CAR stock. The buffer may be sticking on something but to be honest that's not real likely. The most likely thing is the chamber is cut short or the ammo is too long. The bullet on the chambered round may be seating on the lands and grooves. Are you using reloads? It's either a barrel or ammo problem it seems. Oly may have let a bad one thru or it's for 5.54 only vs. .223 or vice versa if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Ahhhh.... those wonderful Olympic arms chambers.

when you fire it you should expect failures to extract.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I am using new lake city green tip. The carrier slides smoothly with no binding at all, with the rifle assembled and appart. This is my first Olympic barrel, The chambers are problematic?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard that Oly claims to have "tighter" chambers than others.

But all of the problems that i have read on this board about their lowers and barrels leads me to believe that they build junk.

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The chamber is pretty tight. I just called the shop I purchased this upper from, they tell me they will bring it to Olympic Arms and have it head spaced to my bolt at the factory. I guess they go up there frequently. Still sucks though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top