Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2002 1:00:30 PM EDT
ok, next week im thinking i may have some free funds for a firearms purchase. it will only be mid range 300. im looking to maybe go for a 9mm pistol in the mid to low 300 range. this dosent leave me much, but as far as i can tell these are my options. WS2000(or is it WA, i cant even remember), baby eagle, CZ75. i want to go 9mm, but i would maybe decide to spring for a .22, but i doubt it. any thoughts on the above pistols?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#1]
mattsd,  I think your refering to HS2000 9mm which was about $249.00.  That pistol is now the Springfield HD and runs about $425-$450. IMHO for a mid $300 range pistol your best bet would be the Ruger P95.  It's accurate, reliable and will take alot of abuse.  I've got one that I would just as soon carry as the Glocks, Sigs, Berettas or HK's I own.  For the price I just don't think you can beat it.  Good luck with your choice
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
mattsd,  I think your refering to HS2000 9mm which was about $249.00.  That pistol is now the Springfield HD and runs about $425-$450. IMHO for a mid $300 range pistol your best bet would be the Ruger P95.  It's accurate, reliable and will take alot of abuse.  I've got one that I would just as soon carry as the Glocks, Sigs, Berettas or HK's I own.  For the price I just don't think you can beat it.  Good luck with your choice

I second the vote for the Ruger. I have a P95DC that shoots just as well as my Glock 22, Glock 27 or maybe even my Beretta 92FS. I would have to say the HK USP45 I have is better, but that's a $700 pistol. For the money, the Ruger is the real deal. Plus you can easily get high caps for it at any gunshow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't buy the Ruger--While it's a good gun (great for the money, truth be told) Bill Ruger is in large part responsible for the hicap ban.  Don't give him any cash.

I've never heard anyone complain about the CZ75.  Guy I used to work with adored his, said it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Personally, I'd follow the impulse and buy a .22--they're fun and dirt cheap to shoot, so you can really afford to practice (hell, I don't even dry fire anymore, I just take my 22 to the range)

Go for the Browning Buckmark--runs a touch over $200, is just as good as the rugers, and quite reliable.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't buy the Ruger--While it's a good gun (great for the money, truth be told) Bill Ruger is in large part responsible for the hicap ban.  Don't give him any cash.

I've never heard anyone complain about the CZ75.  Guy I used to work with adored his, said it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Personally, I'd follow the impulse and buy a .22--they're fun and dirt cheap to shoot, so you can really afford to practice (hell, I don't even dry fire anymore, I just take my 22 to the range)

Go for the Browning Buckmark--runs a touch over $200, is just as good as the rugers, and quite reliable.

Politics aside..... I've been extremely happy with the Ruger. If you go .22LR, Ruger makes a hell of a .22 target pistol. I however chose the new Walther P22Target. It's an awesome little gun and for $280, the price is right. It's got a lot of great features in it, giving you more than the Ruger's or the BuckMark, for only a few more dollars.

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Listen to 223...  

I have both and both are great guns for the $.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

some would get all offended by that and say not to mix function and politics. not me, i hate that some of a bitch, and will never buy a new ruger again.

yah, i used to be stuck between the buckmark and the ruger mkII. but i think the walther puts them both down. i am seriously thinking about that ultracool looking .22
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't go wrong with that Mark II.

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an HS2000 and there are still some out there today that are around $300.  I would highly recommend it for a nine.  It is a polymer just like the Glock.  I do like it.  It seems to take quite a beating.  Good luck on your purchase

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
anyone know if hteir are any walther p22s flaoting around with both 3.5 and 5 inch barrel?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
There are still a few HS2000s floating around.

$325 Gen 3 w/2 10-round mags -- www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2892192

$350 Gen 1 w/2 10-round mags + 1 15-round mag -- www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2243627

There are 3 at www.gunsamerica.com/ for $289, $375, and $400.

$345 shipped Gen 1 w/2 10-round mags + 2 15-round mags -- www.hs2000talk.com/

I have no affiliation with any of the sellers. I'm just passing on the info. HTH
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Well if you were to go all out I to would say go with HK.  But since you are on a budget I still wouldnt settle.  I would save an extra $150 and get a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec in .45
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Get the CZ, Zak, your friend is right they are the best thing since sliced bread, CZ was making firearms(rifles, shotguns, handguns,) when Bill Ruger was shitting yellow,I'd say that CZ 75-85's are one of the best bargins in the firearms world today, High quality, very reasonably priced,Accurate, reliable, can be carried cocked&locked,Fit your hands like a glove, what more can you want?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI Bill Ruger has been dead for some time.  If you didn't like him you no longer need to worry.  He won't be getting your cash.    
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Try to find a NIB HS2000. If you can't find NIB  then get a used one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, don't want to start a religious war, but .22 rimfires suck.  Might just as well save a whole lot of money and buy yourself a slingshot.  That would give you more firepower and more accuracy.

Get a 9mm or 45acp or similar caliber.  I recently saw a HS2000 for sale on the Equip Exchg for $325 as I recall.  I'd look for a similar purchase.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...I recently saw a HS2000 for sale on the Equip Exchg for $325 as I recall. I'd look for a similar purchase.

Yup, that's deltree's gun. It's $325 shipped, a good deal IMO. I'm not sure, but I think that one's spoken for. mattsd, it won't hurt to email him and ask if you're interested in it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, don't want to start a religious war, but .22 rimfires suck.  Might just as well save a whole lot of money and buy yourself a slingshot.  That would give you more firepower and more accuracy.

.22 Rimfire does not suck. Is it a good defense round? NO. Is it gonna kill a bear or stop a charging Rhino? NO. But can you shoot it all day long for $10.00? YES. Can you use it to practice the basic shooting skills? YES. Can you get enjoyment out of your hard earned cash by purchasing a .22? YES !

There is no magic caliber that is right for every single use or application. .22LR has it's place, and as long as you understand that, you shouldn't have any problems.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#18]
CDNN have a Baby Eagle compact for $279.00 and you can buy hi-cap for it too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Buckaroo,

We may not agree about the .22LR, but I sure like your signature line.  "They Live" is one of my all time favorite movies.  Roddy Piper apparently ad-libbed the bubble gum line.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Buckaroo,

We may not agree about the .22LR, but I sure like your signature line.  "They Live" is one of my all time favorite movies.  Roddy Piper apparently ad-libbed the bubble gum line.

I keep trying to find "They Live" on DVD but I'm having no luck.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I recently saw a HS2000 for sale on the Equip Exchg for $325 as I recall. I'd look for a similar purchase.

Yup, that's deltree's gun. It's $325 shipped, a good deal IMO. I'm not sure, but I think that one's spoken for. mattsd, it won't hurt to email him and ask if you're interested in it.

i have had dialog with the seller, even before i made this thread.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Used Glock 17 or that polymer Ruger 9mm (M95?).
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Lots of good advice here.

If the politics don't bother you, the Ruger's have probably the best power vs dollar vs warranty(service is excellent) I've ran across.  Everything they offer is built like a brick shithouse, and will probably outlive your kids (being overly heavy makes all-day carry a burden for some, though).  My first handgun was a P94 in 9mm, real similar to their P95.  It shoots real well and has never failed.  Also got a Mark II Gov't model .22, which is excellent in accuracy and reliability.  The nice things about .22s is that they're cheap to feed (not to say 9mm is terrible).

You can't go wrong with the HS2000 either.  They're a best buy in my book (paid $300+shipping for mine).  I think even the skeptics will come-around in time, Springfield Armory found it good enough to put their name on it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top