Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 12:52:33 PM EDT
OK, it's time.
I cashed in some vacation time to finance the purchase of a Remington 700 PSS.
I need to decide on the base & rings for the scope listed below.  Read what I'm building and make a recommendation to suit my project.
Thanks to all who helped with the information a while back.  I've decided on the full size rifle.

The intent is to have a .308 bolt-action rifle suitable for civilian use in an urban environment that is wet/rainy 90% of the time.

It must be easy to hold on to and not excessively heavy or bulky; hence the choice of the Hogue fully-bedded stock.

It must be able to use the "enhanced power" ammunition without excessive muzzle "flip & flash"; hence the 26" bbl.

It must have a scope suitable for short or long distance that isn't too big or heavy; hence the choice of the Leupold 4.5-14x40 Tactical Mil-Dot 1" tube (that I already own, saving me tons of $).

The base and rings need to keep the scope low to the rifle.
I've asked for recommendations based on the "sharpshooter lite" parameters.
So far, the best idea I've come up with to allow for a back-up scope and not have a high and heavy price to pay, either in weight or money, is the Leupold QR 1-pc. base and two sets of medium rings.
Does this sound like a viable and durable setup for my purposes?
Any other ideas?

Edited for:
The bipod will be the Harris BR-S; there's more flat places in/around the city than rough/uneven terrain.
A simple 1 1/4" nylon sling for carrying/steadying the gun will be employed.  
A stock pouch/cheekrest will probably get use at some point to carry small tools, including the 700 bolt disassembly tool and various hex wrenches, etc.
(won't be on it all the time, it's HEAVINESS).
That's the picture.
Help me complete it with the right base/rings.
Thanks again.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
53 looks and no comments?
You've got to be kidding.

Gimme a hand here before I spend my money foolishly...

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 700PSS in 300WM

If you are going to change the stock anyway, I would suggest getting the 700VS instead.  It costs roughly $100 less and the only change is the stock. www.snipercountry.com/700pss.htm

Read this link for the rest.www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=85458
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Shadowblade, but I'm getting the PSS because it is Parkerized vs. matte blued.
I just need some feedback on the mount/rings for the scope.
Brownells catalog has my head spinning...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks, Shadowblade, but I'm getting the PSS because it is Parkerized vs. matte blued.
I just need some feedback on the mount/rings for the scope.
Brownells catalog has my head spinning...

Thats incorrect, the only difference is the stock.  I spoke with a Remington Rep before I purchased a couple months back.  As far as base and rings, Badger Ordnance.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the definition of the "P" for the Remington 700P PSS:

1) The "P" beside the model Model 870P, Model 11-87P or Model 700P stands for
         "parkerized" not "police". While there are no blued finish versions of Model 11-87P or
         Model 700P models, there are still several Model 870P models that utilize blued finishes.

Directly from the Remington LE catalog, from the LE and Government Sales Manager, Greg Foster.
www.remingtonle.com/home/le_tips.htm

And, directly from the Remington catalog;from the text describing the VS model:
Matte finished carbon steel barrel
www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700VS.HTM

There's a lot of confusion on this, but, there it is in black and white.
The 700 P is Parkerized.

The stock is different, larger palmswell/forend.
The PSS is what it is for my project.
Just fishing for ideas to attach the optical sight.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Help me complete it with the right base/rings.

A one piece base from Nightforce, Autagua, or Badger will work fine.  Make sure your smith drills out the factory holes in the receiver for larger (8-40) screws!  Rings...Leupold is good, as are a number of heavy rings from Badger, ARMS, etc...  I'd stay away from quick release.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
It's looking like I'm going to have to compromise on the weight thing somehow.
An ounce here and there will still keep it under 15-16 lbs. by a long shot, no pun intended...

I like the 1-pc. base concept, but, I don't want the freakin' scope to be a mile high or the mounts/rings to weigh a ton, either.
I'm using pictures of the 700P shown by Remington in the LE catalog using the Leupold/Redfield style of mounts for the Police Sharp Shooter rifle.
The ability to take off the scope to change it quickly is the reason I was looking at the QR.
The "3-hole" attachment method isn't my favorite, but, it might suffice to get me going, and, it's shown in the ad/catalog.

Anybody got a #53 Brownells catalog handy?
pp.286 shows the Leupold mount.
pp.279 shows a Mounting Solutions aluminum bridge mount with the 4-hole attachment and Weaver/Picatinny slots.
I could save some weight here, I suppose, by using the aluminum base/rings.
Rings could be Kwik-Site or Weaver "4x4".

I'm not trying to be cheap here.  I may end up building a heavyweight someday, but, not this time...Keep in mind the weight savings and low mount requirement.
I'm asking for the impossible, probably.
I'm also feeling very humble and rookie like.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Who's drivin' this bus anyway.
Scope ideas, he wants scope ideas!!! sheesh.
I would say the the 4.5 X 14 SF is the way to go up close and personal. Plus he owns it, a BIG plus.(If he was buying and I was spending his coin I would choose a 3.5 X 10 M-1)
I had the 4.5 and it was great but I am an above average size mammal and could not get the scope back far enough for my needs. Plus it was SILVER, what was I thinking. It has a new home with a fellow board member and life is good. I would use a 1 piece picatinny style base and buy 2 sets (1 - 30 mm and 1 - 1") of leupold QRW rings.  The upgrade to 8X40 screws seems to be reasonable. My choice for a back up scope is another Leupold, the 6X42 tactical. I have this scope on my 223 LTR and its awsome. Bright, clear and very forgiving eye relief. You mention Urban in your needs. The 26" tube is not exactly movement friendly and depending on your distance to target you may be better off with a shorter (23") tube. I am working with a 20" savage FP now and it handles great even with heavy loads, but enough about me. I am not sure if I read you right, you are putting the PSS in a Hogue stock??? I have never seen one so I can't comment but have considered trading the PSS stock for an HS Varmint Synthetic. A friend of mine swapped out his PSS for one after a while to get a handier profile. I have the BR bipod and the next one up. Roof top and windows sills I guess the BR would be fine but prone or hiding under a dupster you might want/need more height. In my case prone is governed by my inability to say no to good food.
Good luck and look  behind you before pulling away from the curb.

Editted because this opus took me 20 minutes and then you say "you might yield a bit on the weight"
Barrel cut to 22" in an HS Prec. VS stock same optics as in the opus.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Rudison-
Thanks for your comments.
Yeah, I was lucky to pick up the Leupold Tactical at a price I couldn't refuse.
The weight thing is difficult to achieve. That Hogue stock is 3oz. heavier than the factory PSS, but it's easier to hang on to with the rubber 'skin' and thinner palmswell.
Hogue Stock page:
www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html
Spending the $ for 8-40's isn't in the budget for this one right this minute.
As for the shorter bbl., see what I wrote up top.  Not to mention if I want one, I can cut from this bbl. much less expensively than buying a new longer bbl.

Checking the mirrors...
Smile and let the Bus back into traffic, y'all.

This should give an idea of the scope and stock sizes:

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry if I gave the wrong info on the PSS vs. VS.  I know I read that they were the same.

I have the one-piece Badger Ordnance base with 20 MOA tilt and Badger rings as well.  As far as height goes,  my 40mm objective is 5/16" above the barrel.  Both rings and bases are available at Brownell's.

SB
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Badger Ordnance 1 piece base.  Badger Ordnance Max 50 rings.  Accept no substitute.  If you know a good gunsmith, you can have your reciever drilled/tapped for six 8-40 screws instead of the standard four 6-48 screws.  The base has 20MOA of elevation built in; you'll need it if you try to shoot that 1 inch tube beyond 600 yards.

JMHO,

shooter
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#12]
It was late but I think I was talking or thinking about cutting your tube if it was too long. I have several Rems and the 8 X 40 screw "exchange" has only been done on one. It was on a receiver from I gun that I bought for $150. The previous guy crossed 2 holes. It was that cheap 'cause he got blood on the barrel that he forgot to wipe off. I found out about the holes later.
 The money can get crazy, I lurk and swoop on about 5 different boards so I can squeeze the most from my buck.
 OT we have a farm in Norway, the Bus is the only way to go when travelling to the "Big City"
Whenever I smell diesel I get all misty.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Busmaster- prety good advise by some of these guys!!
-I agree with the Badger bases and rings. Stay away from the aluminum and the QD stuff- they won't cut it. Autagua, Nightforce and leupold Mark 4 bases and rings are also good choices.
- With these mounts, and a quality scope, I would not worry about(or buy)a backup scope at all.

-last, but not least- keep the Remington stock over the Hogue. The P stock are made for Remington by H-S precision (a well known sniper rifle and stock maker)has bedding blocks and any decent gunsmith can work with those. The stock also is built of quality materials and is guaranteed!  How about the Hogue? Try bending the stock in your hands....if it moves-don't put it on a bolt gun.
FWIW- I believe the weight difference between the H-s Precision stock (which came with your gun)and the Hogue will be less than 1 pound.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to all.
This is supposed to be a little bit different from everyone elses rifle.
A "CityBoy".
Most of the rifles I've seen are extra heavy duty and heavy.  This one will go a couple of pounds lighter if I do it right.
It's intended to be different and a little sleeker.
I appreciate the knowledge imparted here. You guys are great.
When done, pictures will be posted.
Now, I'll disappear for awhile and see what I can cook up with all the good advice.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember to put the "Out of Service" sign up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top