Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2002 4:10:50 PM EDT
This subject came up on another forum. i was wondering if a silencer reduce bullet velocity. i gave an example of same weapon and ammo used and why i did'nt think it would affect it. www.rtcw.co.uk/ in the Main forum. sten vs the rest thread. i am 110.

if you can post links with info it would be interesting.

lib/110
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The proper term is a sound suppressor and a normal suppressor will not reduce velocity.

An integral suppressor for example on an MP5SD or Sterling Mk5 will however reduce velocity because of the ported barrels.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think unless it emplyed wipes (which a rifle one would not) then it should raise velocity a bit.  They do change point of impact though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
For all your suppressor questions:

www.gem-tech.com/general.html

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
No, you will not, generally, lose velocity with silencers (and, before anyone gets too cool to call them silencers, that IS what the BATF calls 'em, that's what's on every form I send out here at the silencer manfuacturer I work for :)  --but your point is taken, Tuukka :)

The exceptions are going to be wiped units of old, where something (rubber, urethane, etc.) contacts the bullet in flight, or velocity controlled units, like the integrally suppressed Mk2 and 1022s you often see on the market.

A good many suppressors give what is called freebore boost, where the bullet leaving the muzzle gets a little (10fps or so) zip through the can. So, if anything, it will boost your fps with a muzzlemount can.

Kel
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi Kel.... did you see my shameless plug for Gem-Tech above ... I should just add the URL to my signature block... it'll save a lot of typing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
hey Darkhelmet, is it legal (provided ATF tax) to attach a pin-on sound suppressor to a post-ban AR15? or does it have to be a pre-ban.

lib
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be illegal to attach a silencer to a post-ban AR-15 cause the BATF has ruled that the silencer doubles as a sound and flash suppressor. If you want to attach a silencer to a post-ban .223, you'll have to use a Mini-14 with bi-locks. Also you could thread it on a .223 bolt action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top