Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 5:49:32 PM EDT
Ok, here's the deal. I bought a compact ACOG from a friend who got it on trade. It's a 1.5X12 TA-44.

I just noticed last night a small black speck in the upper right hand corner. But the thing is I don't really notice it all the time. When I'm looking THROUGH it I don't notice it at all. It's only when I focus IN that I notice it. Luckily it's not really in the way while looking at a target. But I'd like to know where it came from.

Now I do have to confess that I did wipe some dust off the lense with a paper towel. After realizing how stupid that was, I've since cleaned it with soap, water, and a good eyeglass cloth.

My question is whether or not that speck could be the result of something I did (namely the paper towel)? I called Trijicon today and they said I probably didn't do any harm with the paper towel, that I would have noticed a something differant.

So was this speck there to begin with, or did I cause it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless something is on the outside of the lens (front or rear) you did not do this and likely failed to notice it in your exuberance at getting the ACOG.

It is probably some sort of coating inside the tube that has flaked off.

I have cleaned the lenses many times in the field with the tail of my t-shirt with no ill effects.

Don't sweat it! Shoot straight!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
SF I hope you're right. I'd hate to think I screwed up somehow.

What could flake off inside the scope though? A coating on the inside, or part of the seal? But even then, wouldn't the particle move if the scope was jostled around?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t know about ACOG’s (and I’m not taking mine apart to find out!), but many optics are painted flat black on the inside to cut down on internal reflections.  As SF says, a bit of this might have flaked off.  

It could also be a bit of a seal, dried glue or such that got loose inside.  Since you can see it so clearly, it’s probably on the same lens as the reticule.

You could try tapping the scope on the side to get the particle to move.  However, it might move to a worse location!

This should be covered under the warranty.  Unfortunately, I believe Trijicon’s warranty applies only to the original owner.  (Just a guess, but your state might not allow that exclusion.)

Don’t even consider taking it apart.

I’d just ignore it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
... Thats weird. Similiarly, I recently bought a Trijicon TA01-NSN ACOG and after mounting it on my flat top upper it "appears" the crosshairs are not perfectly vertical and horizontal when viewing through it. Maybe clock clockwise a degree or so.

... It bothers the crap out of me. Anyone else experienced this?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... Thats weird. Similiarly, I recently bought a Trijicon TA01-NSN ACOG and after mounting it on my flat top upper it "appears" the crosshairs are not perfectly vertical and horizontal when viewing through it. Maybe clock clockwise a degree or so.
... It bothers the crap out of me. Anyone else experienced this?

Yeah, I have with a tao1, sent to trijicon, they checked it out, said it was right on. Took it shooting, scope was RIGHT ON after I 0'ed it! Shoot it!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Trijicon replaced the tritium, purged and resealed the tube, and even upgraded a used TA-11 that I bought on the net in a "deal".

They told me the scope was over 8 years old and charged me less that $40 for the whole thing.

Maybe I just got lucky, or they felt sorry for me, but that was a heck of a great customer support service and I will buy their products again!

Interiors of tubes are coated with a flat black substance to cut down on reflections.

You could always send it back.  Hope it works out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top