Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 11:23:34 AM EDT
This is my first post, I have been silently observing for some time.

Shot an AR for the first time last sunday morning. WOW!!!!!!!!!! Should have bought one years ago.

It is a rock river A1 upper with a A2 style stock. The recoil spring rattles after fire, is this normal? It certainly didn't effect my shooting and eventually I became unconcious of it. I just want to be sure there is nothing wrong.

Can't wait to buy my next one.

Fconn

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong but you need more reading here, the proper AR-15.com term for this noise is SPROING.

Mike

PS - Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The "KaChunnnggggg" noise (not "Spronggggg" as some mistakenly observe ) is perfectly normal.  Some people like to buffer it with grease, but that's just a preference.  If the noise stops, THEN you've got trouble.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
That greese will build up and you will have a mess on your hands. Just get use to it!  One of the many joys of the AR!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
What did you expect when you attach a tiny gun to a huge spring? hat
Actually I can think of a great tactical advantage to this.  Since the bolt is held open on the last shot and the spring stays compressed (doesn't get to sproing forward into battery), the last shot sounds different than the others so you know you're out of ammo without even looking at the ejection port or pulling the trigger in vain like a dummy.

Edited to correct smiley mistake so the Board Code Nazi wouldn't get me!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a A2/A3 carry handle mounted scope.  Your face bone won't touch the stock during shooting, and you won't be aware of the Sproing.

I was zeroing my scope and wondered why my rifle didn't sound right.  I was missing the Sproing!

Welcome to AR15.com!

ps - since when is "Posts 4 of 4" your first post?!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My first time firing an AR I said "Jesus.... I have just spent a thousand bucks on a damn BB gun..." <grin> If you do use a bit of grease, understand and plan that your shooting shoulder will have a grease spot from that itty bitty hole. I greased mine at first but now I don't consciously hear it anymore.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
should have said first post as AR owner and shooter, not AR wannabe.

Quoted:
Get a A2/A3 carry handle mounted scope.  Your face bone won't touch the stock during shooting, and you won't be aware of the Sproing.

I was zeroing my scope and wondered why my rifle didn't sound right.  I was missing the Sproing!

Welcome to AR15.com!

ps - since when is "Posts 4 of 4" your first post?!  hr
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
That was my very first question also when i got mine,don`t even notice it anymore,rock on.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
You can put a military cleaning kit in the stock to help muffle the sound too.

BTW- Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I just put some Hoppe's Lubricating Oil on my buffer spring and the noise went away. And you won't have to worry about grease piling up. Worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The noise is more like a " pssscressssstt" then " pronggg" yehhknow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]
SPROING!SPROING!SPROING!SPROING!SPROING!SPROING!SPROING.........ahhh,how sweet the sound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top