Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2002 6:26:21 AM EDT
10 rnd of 40S&W or 15 rnds of 9mm????

Scenario:

Ordinary Joe who just needs to carry whenever he is around his family out in public.

Please make your point brief and direct. Thanks!

(how the hell can you make this into a poll???)
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't have a .40 (make mine 45acp), but between the two that's my choice.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
That is my choice too! I carry a Kimber Pro-CDP with a wilson 8-rnd mag plus 1 in the pipe but that is the conventional wisdom.

I need something that relates to modern "thinking".

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
None of the above. I don't feel the need for a lot of rounds for personal defense, and I want a lighter gun, around 24-25 ounces loaded.  A Glock 36, a J-frame S&W, a Taurus Titanium revolver, a Taurus Millenium in .45 ACP, even a Colt Pocket 9 or Mustang would make the list.

I don't feel undergunned with a 9mm, BTW.  I prefer Corbon +P 115 gr, 90 gr., or 124 gr., in that order.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Between those two choices, whichever you can shoot the best and you feel the best carrying. Which probably means whichever you can afford to shoot the most which probably means the 9mm. Without getting into a big handgun ammo debate, any handgun round is adequate given proper shot placement. Proper shot placement is easier with a gun you are comfortable with and can practice with a lot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Based on the two choices presented I would go with the .40 S&W. Remember, when referring to handgun calibers the only reliable wounding mechanism is the permanent wound channel created by physical contact between the bullet and tissues to be damaged. Bare in mind that your shots have to be placed with surgical precision to begin with, so given adequate penetration the bullet with the largest diameter will always have the wounding advantage. However, allot does depend on the gun. IMO some guns, as they are currently produced, don't quite cut the mustard when chambered in .40 S&W. Carry the gun you shoot the best. As long as the shooter does his part calibers are of relatively no consequence.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top