Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 11:47:47 AM EDT
My grandfather has an almost perfect H&R M1.  I was checking it out and the trigger is not what I expected.

When you pull it travels back and clicks into place.  With additional pull it then fires with no additional travel and resets to unfired position.  Is this a 2 stage trigger or is it broken?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My grandfather has an almost perfect H&R M1.  I was checking it out and the trigger is not what I expected.

When you pull it travels back and clicks into place.  With additional pull it then fires with no additional travel and resets to unfired position.  Is this a 2 stage trigger or is it broken?

TIA

Have you taken the trigger group out & looked at it? It comes out as a single entity so there's no springs or parts flying out at you or anything. You can cock the hammer & pull the trigger with the group out of the rifle. Don't let the hammer fall full speed when you do this, it's not really good for it when that happens.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, it's a single stage trigger alright. That's just how it was designed. When I use the M-1 for competition I use the fact that it's got a lot of travel, and start squeezing trigger which you could hold half-way indefinitely.
This is a tip from one of the Jim Owens books I have.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The gun is normal.  

When you get a chance, pull the triger pack and take a look.  
The trigger-disconnector is connected to one another. After a shoot is fired, the disconector will catch the hammer, on releasing the trigger, the hammer is retained by the trigger sear.  The first creep you feel is the hammer riding the trigger sear to the diconector. The second/greater pull is the hammer pushing on the disconnector and releasing.  

The reason that there is creep is that the trigger sear and disconector have to have a overlap to retain the hammer.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, except for the 'clicking into position' your description sounds like a normal 2 stage trigger.

A 2 stage trigger has a bit of travel at initial take-up. It then reaches a point where it "stops." At this point adding a couple extra pounds of pressure will complete the pull and release the hammer.

Nowhere in the process should there be a 'click.'

If there is, please have a gunsmith look it over.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoa, 3 posts in less than a minute. Great minds think a like.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The click is the hammer striking the firing pin.

If you have a loaded M-1, Then the click will be a BOOM!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
And then two more posts. Are we all waiting for our wives to get back from shopping?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Just because this place is called AR15.com doesn't mean we don't like our M1's too.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#10]
You M-1 is broken, and seriously dangerous.

Please send it to me for appropriate "dispossal."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top