Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 11:28:09 AM EDT
uppers?  I am looking for a flat top with the removable handle.  What is that called?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
A-3

Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#2]
My Colt flat-top is stamped A-3 as is my Bushy,
why do they screw around w/ the numbers?

So now the "Proper" designation for a flat-top is A-4?

Help us out here Troy!!!

Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The M16A2 and M16A3 are identical other than the A2 is SAFE-SEMI-BURST and the A3 is -AUTO.  The also identical M16A4 is BURST with a detachable handle.

There are only M4 and M4A1 Carbines.  They're identical and have detachable handles.  The M4 is BURST, the M4A1 is -AUTO.  There are no A2 or A3 carbines.  The very, very early M4 Carbine had a fixed handle.  Changed to detachable withOUT a change in nomenclaure.

Commercial companies just use whatever the heck they feel like using.  Heck one company even has a "M4A3" carbine -- whatever that should mean.  I'm guessing it has a detachable handle, like the M4 and M4A1.  Maybe "A3" here means "semiautomatic only"?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
as AMHsix and Chuck said,  the US Military nomenclature for the flattop 20" rifle with burst is M16A4.

M16A3 is the 20" rifle with Auto instead of Burst in the fire control selections.

y'all should know what the M16A2 and M16A1 are.  and i suppose the M16 original.  if not, read up my friends.

the M4's (Burst) and M4A1's (Auto) now come standardly with flattops.  the older one's vary.

commercial designations mean diddly squat.  just makes us have to check each particular manufacturer's catalog before ordering.  heh.

edited cuz Chuck posted 20 seconds before i did.  <g>
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Chuck & SJ

Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
so I have but one question, what units actually use a3 and a4 series rifles in the military or are they mostly for sof units.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top