Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 8:15:34 AM EDT
I have a friend who is also a gun nut, like me. His mother got him a rather expensive scope (not sure what type) for Christmas. He is now looking for a rifle to put this scope on, as his current collection does not include a rifle suitable for it. He asked me what type of rifle he should get, and I'm coming to you guys for help! He would prefer some sort of Military-style weapon that would be suitable for hunting as well.

Any info / suggestions will be appreciated !!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger M77/VLE in 308

I happen to have one available for $750 NIB...
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#2]
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Steyr SSG in 7.62NATO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#4]
FN police special
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#5]
There are a lot of good choices out there.
He should determine the following first:
(1.) How much is he willing to pay for the rifle.
(2.) How much accuracy does he need in the rifle.
(3.) What are his maximum Range and Penetration Requirements.
(4.) What is the maximum weight requirement for the rifle.
(5.) Does he only want the rifle chambered for 7.62 NATO or 5.56 NATO ? Or is he willing to go to a non military factory cartridge ? Or is he willing to have it chambered in a Wildcat cartridge ?

(6.) Does he want a Semi-Auto or a Bolt Action Rifle.

(7.) Does he want the rifle to be a Single Shot (stiffer receiver and greater accuracy) or does he want it to have a magazine.

(8.) Does he want the rifle to have a detachable magazine or internal box magazine.

(9.) What is the largest game animal does he want to use to rifle for ?

There are so many variables to consider.

Here are some examples of rifles.
If Accuracy is the number one priority and price is no limit. Then  a custom rifle built on a Hall Giant Action, with a Lija Barrel would be a good choice.

If he wants to have a very good Repeating Bolt Action, then a custom built rifle based on a Remington Action would be a good choice:
Jarret, Chandler make good rifles.

If he wants a Cheap but Accurate Factory Rifle:
Tikka, Savage make Excellent (Ugly) but very Accurate Rifles right out of the box.

Some good cartridges: 6.5-284 or 6.5-08(a good medium range wildcat), 30-338 Weatherby (a good long range wildcat).
338 Lapua (a very good 1500+ yard cartridge)

Factory Cartridges to consider:

.223 or 22-250 or .243 or .257 Roberts or 257 Weatherby (good short range cartridges for small game)

6.5x55 Swedish, 7x57 Mauser, 7-08 (good medium range cartridges out to 800 yards. Good for deer and pig).

7.62 NATO (a good cartridge out to 800 yards)
The Great 30-06 (probably the most widely available cartridge. You can be in some little town in the middle of now where and still be able to get ammo. This is good for out to about 900 - 1000 yards). Both 7.62 NATO and 30-06 are good Deer Cartridges.

300 Win Mag (a good 1000 yard cartridge)
7 mm Rem Mag (Another very good cartridge out to 1000 yards).

.338 Win Mag (Good long range cartridge, Good for Elk).

.375 H&H (Good for Anything in North or South America. Offers Great Penetration, Ammo is widely available.) Will kill anything in Alaska, Canada or the Continental US.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I would recommend a good 308 bolt gun.  I have had good results with Remington rifles.  Best.  Watch-Six    
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#7]
how about one of these?
Our heavier weight varminter with exceptional long range accuracy. The heavy barrel is further stabilized by an extremely stable Kevlar/fiberglass graphite Pillar Plus AccuBlock™ stock with a full-length aluminum bedding block integrated into the stock for maximum stability. Matte finish on all exposed surfaces. Push feed bolt design. 26" barrel. Considered by many to be the ultimate varmint rifle. (scope & bipod not included)
Caliber Magazine Capacity*  Barrel Length Nom. Overall Length Nom. Length of Pull  Nom. Drop at Comb  Nom. Drop at Heel Nom. Weight (Lbs.)  Rate of Twist 1 Turn In  U.S. Sugg. Retail
308 Win. 5 26" 46" 13-1/2" 3/4" 1/2" 10 3/4 12 $785  

hope you like it
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Get yourself a Savage 10FP .308 - shoots very well for the money.  The 700s are overpriced IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, one more thing.  You guys are "gun afficionados", not "gun nuts".  And you are not looking for a "sniper rifle", you're looking for a "sub moa hunting rifle".  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top