Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2002 8:29:47 PM EDT
A friend has a preban made by E.A. Co. (I know it isnt Eagle I just dont remember what E.A. stands for) and wants to trade it for my DPMS DCM competition rifle.  I got the DPMS thinking it was a plinker and then learned it isnt for plinking.  The preban has a 20 inch barrel, A1 sights, triangular handguards, buttstock with trap door, and the barrel gets thicker under the handguards.  He wants a competition grade rifle and I want a plinker.  I would probably swap the upper for a carbine length and possibly add a collapsible stock.  Do you all think this is a fair trade?  Neither of us can afford to purchase the others rifle outright.  Also the handguards on the preban are kind of old, can they be replaced with A2 handguards?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that E.A. stands for Essential Arms.  I am pretty sure that any preban is worth more than your DPMS but don't quote me on that.

As far as your triangular handguards go, if you are going to swap the upper for a carbine, just get one with A2 handguards.

The best thing about the preban is that you will be able to put all the evil goodies on it - collapsible stock, flash hider, and the oh so deadly bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're both happy with what you end up with, then I'd say its a fair trade.
Strictly on a cost basis, if the EA is a verified preban rifle then its worth a little more than the DPMS Comp rifle but not a great deal more.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got the DPMS thinking it was a plinker and then learned it isnt for plinking.  Also the handguards on the preban are kind of old, can they be replaced with A2 handguards?

Handguards can't be swapped if they're the old style triangular (sp?) shape.

Personally, I think the DPMS will be worth more down the road. Also, with what all you want to change on the AR, why not just buy a lower & build from there? Thus you can have **exactly** what you want w/o having extra parts you've already paid for. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Handguards can't be swapped if they're the old style triangular (sp?) shape.
quote]

Actually, there is nothing stopping you from putting A2 style handguards on an A1 style rifles. The barrel thickness does not come into play at all. You will find many National Guard, AF units with M16A1s and A2 handguards - when they break, that is now all that you can order. One has replaced the other for BOTH rifles.

Adam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top