Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 9:45:36 AM EDT
I am thinking about adding a preban Steyr Aug to my collection and i am wondering which to buy an A1 or A2. also if any of you have one are they as nice as i've heard? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since they are high priced items and i would hate to make the wrong choice.My AR's really want a bullpup to play with.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the preban SteyrAug if you're into posts of half naked women.  The post-ban SteyrAug doesn't seem to do much, as far as I can tell.

...That IS what you meant, right?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Santyth,
That's a good one i hadn't thought of it in that way.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Go with the preban SteyrAug if you're into posts of half naked women.  The post-ban SteyrAug doesn't seem to do much, as far as I can tell.

...That IS what you meant, right?  

HA!!!! Good One! I think I just soiled myself from laughing so hard.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had several AUG in my past. Currently I have a pre-ban A2 AUG in black.  AUG is one of those gun I just had to have, my first AUG was back in 1988, and it was couple with a first gen. Glock 17, I used to get laught at with all the plastic I carried, but I stay my ground and shot and loved my Austrian products.  The AUG is no better then a well equipped M4, or any high end assault weapons on the market, but for collector's point of view, it is pretty rare, and it is a great shooter.  In full auto mode, the muzzle dose not even rise, the gun is accurate and controlable.  and if you feed the right ammo, its function is flewless.  If you have the cash, go for an AUG, if you have lots of cash, go for a A2, A2 configration will give you the ability to mount optic. I am planning a US Optics SN4 for it in the upcoming year.  good luck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...US Optics SN4 ...

and speaking of lots of money!  (US Optics be fine.)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Still debating between the SN4 or the Aimpoint M2 2x.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Darkslayer,

Augs are great.  

Plus's -
Very natural to point and shoot
Reliable (I have never had a jam or FTF)
Simple maintenance
Way up on the cool factor

Minus's
If you are righty and need to shoot from a lefty position - you eat brass
Expensive
Trigger is not the smoothest

On the A1/A2, I would rather have the option of choosing optics, but I have the built in unit.  The standard optics are good and fast, just not very magnified.  I think 2x.

These aren't sniper rifles anyway so I don't know if it matters.  

BTW, SMGLee, I am curious about the US Optics SN4 for another project.  Can you explain where these are available and how muchZ?

James
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
i am leaning to a lnib black a2 with 16" barrel with extras which will end up the most expensive gun i have purchased to date. thanks for info guys.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Dark Slayer, this is my A2 receiver 16 inch barrel black stock AUG.

James,

The US optic SN4 is a excellent choice for a CQB sight. It comes with a Posi Slide and lock mount that lock on to your flat top mount.  I love the clarity of the glass, and the ability to have 1x to 4x adjustability.  The circle dot is another plus especially if you order the illuminated ret.  the cost is pretty high, it start with basic version with hi resolution lens at around 1400 all the way up to like 2000 for a super hi res lens loaded with all the option except maybe cook yourt meal scope.  hope this helps.

p.s. check you mail, I will send you what I got from them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
SMGLEE:

Wow, that is way cool.  Would you mind telling me the price you paid for that?

I have always wanted an aug, but it appears that it may never be in my budget plan!

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
SMGLee,

Hey, when did you sneak in and take a picture of my Aug :)  Mine is identical.  Sure wish they made a Jewell trigger for these things.

Thanks for the email.  Exactly what I was looking for.  I am familiar with US Optics as I have one of their scopes on my AR10.  Things are built to last.  Crisp optics.  And the Posilock mount is great.  I'm not sure if that will fit with what I am working on though.  I bought (sigh, don't yet HAVE due to ATF) an MP5 subgun with a KAC rail.  I need to verify the rail is Picatinney NOT Weaver.  The Posilock system does not always fit every Weaver rail.

I bought my first US Optics scope direct from them.  Do they have any other distribution channels or is that it?  Seems I never see them for sale anywhere.

And to be honest, this may be more scope than I need.  I mean, a 9MM subgun isn't gonna shoot MOA anyway.  I may just get the Aimpoint for it since the price dif is huge and I can't see the subgun doing any long range groups.  If the US Optics was 6-700$ maybe.  But $1400 just doesn't make sense.

James
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I go the pre ban AUG in green about five years ago, the cost was 1600 in excellent shape. I paid 900 to Pete at PJS for the A2 upgrade, and what a story that was.  I also purchased a Black AUG parts kit for 1200 from a private owner. got about ten mags to go with it, and a picatinny rail.  total came to about 4500 dollars.

James, I can see your point about the US Optics on a 9mm,  I handle several US optics products, i just can't get over how beautiful the optics are.  I have heard horror story about them on support, but mostly heresay.  Awhile back, I saw precision arms in San Diego selling them, but since last year, all I could find is US Optics direct.  tell me about your KAC rail once you get it, I have a MP5A3, I am thinking about getting the KAC RAS handguard on it.  I am currently running a B&T base, with a ARMS throw lever mount with a Aimpoint M-XD. take care.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Chen,

Either I have bad eyes or it is a great job.  Your Aug has the rail and removeable optics?  Wish mine did.  I would love to be able to mount something with more magnification on my Aug.

I'll be glad to share data on my MP5.  Course, I am still waiting transfer to my dealer (since Sept 7).  Once complete, another wait for transfer to me.  (sigh).  On a bright note, I expect to have another Chirstmas sometime in the next 120 days if I'm a good boy.

BTW, Darkslayer, I never answered what these cost.  The Black ones cost more (I don't know why) and of course preban is an Aug, post ban is a US?.  Don't know what functional difference there is.  Seems as if current going rate for a 99% black Aug is around $3500-4000.  Chen got a great price even for 5 years ago.  Mine was NIB (yes, unfired) and came with 10 NIW mags (worth about $75-85 each) for $4700 a year ago.  I would do it over again except maybe I would spend more and get on in full auto.  

James
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is my AUG, For sale too.
They are rather interesting firearms.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
James,  PJS and GSI did an AUG upgrade about two years ago.  The cost was 900 dollars, you get to send your Receiver to Austria and they send you a new A2 receiver with your original scope tube and your serial number.  Since it is consider a repair item, ATF was okay with the procedure. The change over time was suppose to be around 3 month, but nothing show up until a full year has past.  Most the fault goes to Steyr, but I believe Pete will not do this again, since it cost a lot of heartache for him. Now all the receiver is back in our hands, the count is 50 black and 50 green pre-ban AUG in the A2 configuration.  That is why Pete is asking about 6000 for a A2 receiver black AUG.  This is why I am looking at the US optic SN4 to mount on the Picatinny rail I bought along with the deal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Chen,

I knew about the upgrade by PJS.  I didn't know it took a year.  Bad for Pete.  Probably cost him a lot of "attaboys" on that one.  From what I've heard though he is a standup guy and will survive it.  People always know when you really can't control something.

I can see the US Optics on your Aug.  The accuracy out to 200 yards would be acceptable for that quality of optics.  I am curious about the trigger on yours.  Mine is a bit stiff.  I compare it to rifles with good triggers such as ARs with Jewell and an AR10T, etc.  My Aug functions great, but if I really needed to do precision shooting, the weak built in optics and stiff trigger would make it difficult.  Have you done anything to improve trigger pull on yours?  

For my MP5 I have decided on the Aimpoint 2x 2MOA dot model.  I just don't think the accuracy of a short barrel FA 9MM justifies the USO scope.  Maybe I'm wrong about the accuracy I can expect, but I'm thinking if I can get 2 MOA at 100 yards I'm lucky.  

I ordered my Aimpoint yesterday online from SWFA.  I also got the special older 3 MOA Aimpoint for my wifes 10/22.  I have to admit.  Since I dropped all those Volquartzen parts and added a suppressor to the 10/22 I really like shooting it.  Plus, you can shoot all day for peanuts.  Everyone should have a .22 IMO.  

James

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#17]
James,

Please update me on the 2x M2,  that is another choice I have to mount on my AUG.   If you can, I like to know how much longer does it take to acquire target with the 2x in place.  nad is the optic clarity up to your satification??  For the rpice of the Aimpoint, I am very interested.  I figure, I mount the Aimpoint with the ARMS mount to the Picatinny rail.

Yea, I know Pete is a great guy, he tok a lot of heat for that deal, I really felt for him.  to be honest, I was getting a bit nervous around the year mark, but Pete came through with flying color.  I am really glad I did the upgrade.

AUG trigger is pretty shitty, it is not a very nive target gun.  I remember somebody mentioned about heating up something in the trigger pack to smooth out the pull.  I did not pay too much attention to it.  maybe you might find somebody that knows how, try www.steyr-aug.com.  never know what you can find.

P.S.  I am thinking about picking up an old M-XD for my Benelli, I have a Reflex on it right now, but since the M is under 200 dollars, I might want to give it a try.  man I got to love you 10/22. aimpoint, suppressor, and trigger pack.  lovely backyard plinker.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#18]
DARKSLAYER, I bought my pre-ban AUG about 2 years ago from a gunshop in Tampa, It was used but in mint condition. Paid 2500 for it. Saw it on his table at a gunshow and HAD to have it. It looks identical to the pic posted by MFS1589 except with the bayonet lug. At the last Suncoast Gunshow I saw an almost identical green pre-ban Aug with a pricetag of 3700. I wish my stock portfolio had increased so much! A great shooter with almost 1000 rounds through it with NO jams at all. It sure brings some confused looks from the rangemaster when I shoot it. On the call"cease fire" when he came to the AUG he just had this wierd look on his face and said "is that thing on safe? Oh, what the hell!" Get one if you can-you won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#19]
thanks, guys i am going to order the black a2 from pete within a week. also should i buy the hammer pack for 150.00 and the small parts kits for 300.00 to have spare parts?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Dark,

I don't think you will shoot the gun enough to wear out anything, but just to be safe, buy the parts kit, it is about 300 dollars, it will support your weapon for a life time.  that is unless you shoot upwards of 10,000 on a yearly basis. Trigger pack is not necessary.  more magazine is always better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Chen,

I'll let ya know on the AImpoint.  But remember, I bought the MP in Sep and it STILL hasn't completed the dealer-dealer transfer.  Not sure when I'll get it.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top