Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2001 8:27:26 AM EDT
I just stumbled across a comment on the Special Weapons website www.specialweaponsllc.com that there is a new law in Arizona banning shooting in the desert. WTF??!?!
Has anybody heard of this? I go out to the open desert all the time with my guns. If anybody has info on this, please let me know !

Thanks in advance !
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
i haven't heard this but then i haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to it since we're members of a conveniently located range.

however, i do know these few things:

cities and towns can have there own ordinances prohibiting shooting in the desert.  scottsdale, for instance, does not allow shooting in the desert (just travel north on Pima and you'll see all the signs).

also, i think that shooting has been banned in the tonto national forest since sometime this summer.  but i'm not really clear on that one, so you'd have to verify that with forest service personnel to be sure.

now, if ARIZONA passed a law that prohibited shooting in the desert, that would have been done by the state legislature and could easily be verified with a call.

fwiw, i think that the law sucks, if it exists.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
ARlady, thanks for the post.

I went to website for Tonto NF and found a link about recreational shooting restrictions. It looks like they have set aside a few areas where there is no shooting allowed, but it certainly isn't banned. WHEW !

Thanks again, and here are the links:

Map of restricted area: www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/shooting/general_shoot.htm

Tonto NF Main site: www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/

Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If that happened I would have heard about it.  Since I haven't heard about it it hasn't happened.  As noted, it *could* happen in some local municipality, and I think some ban *did* happen in Tonto National Forest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top