Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2001 6:40:46 AM EDT
I've been told "Wolf Ears" are the best.  Any personal experiences or recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my Dillon HP1.

• Protection Rating NRR 21

• External Battery Compartment

• Extra-Deep, Replaceable Earpads

• Separate Volume Controls for Each Ear

• TRUE Sterophonic Sound

• Collapsible for Ease of Storage

Walking across the grass, I can hear the blades crunch under my shoes.

Link Posted: 12/26/2001 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Peltor Tac-6 are good and can be found for $130.
ProEars Sporting Clays are about $100 more but are so comfortable I can wear mine literally all day long even in a Georgia summer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Peltor ComTac
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Peltor Tac-7 headset from Santa - will ops check this weekend...
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I think mine are Peltor Tac-somethings, maybe 6.  They fit UNDER the standard militry helmet and are an appropriate OD green color.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been told "Wolf Ears" are the best.  Any personal experiences or recommendations?

I am also in the market, and have been reading around the net on them.  This is a great discussion of the Wolf Ears.
talk.shooters.com/room_55/9717.cfm

The one detail I am concerned about is being able to determine which direction a sound is coming from.  From what I understand, the protectors that transmit in stereo eliminate this capability.  If a sound is coming from the right year, I don't want to be able to hear in at an equal volume in both ears.  That, IMO, is vital in this decision.  

Cope

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Use the Peltor Tac6 all the time. These are awesome "ears". If you do any kind of instructiong or like to hear what the instructor is saying, you'll love em!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone tried "RidgeLine Pro-Ears Pro-Mag's"?  A Guntest review spoke highly of them, but I've never even seen them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
All of the ProEars line is excellent. I prefer the Sporting Clays model because it is less likely to interfere with the high comb on a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a set of Gentex Wolf Ears and I love them. I like being able to have almost normal hearing so much that even on very hot days when a pair of ear plugs is more comfortable I find myself throwing the plugs back in the range bag and putting the "ears" back on.

They are definitely heavier than the Peltors, but those big ear cups are essentially the same as found on David Clark aviation units and they do a much better job of sound attenuation. More rugged, as well. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

The only negative I've found is that in the rain the microphones get wet and the normal sounds no longer sound normal, kind of muffled instead. I don't know if this is an issue with the Peltors.

That link above with the extended discussion of the Wolf Ears was hilarious! "Uhhh, maybe it uses depleted uranium?" It's just a simple limiter circuit. Gunfire sounds almost like it does on TV (this might not be a bonus headset,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top