Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2001 4:37:18 PM EDT
Newbie question-
Looking to get a 5.56 semi-auto (already have a 7.62 AK). After visiting this site for the last couple months I had decided on a Bushy, probably the XM15 E2S (flat top carbine). Then I saw that Armalite was going to introduce the AR-180. I had never even heard of this gun b4, but its specs are interesting (uses AR-15 mags, etc.). What really caught my eye was the price, $590 retail. My local shops have quoted me around $900 for the Bushy.
My question is, having never shot either type of gun b4, would I be disappointed with the 180? What are the good/bad points?
I like the versatility of the AR-15, the aftermarket accessories, and it definitely has the "cool" factor going for it. I just can't get over the price of the 180.
I'm still leaning towards the Bushy, I guess I just need enough people  to push me over the edge.

BTW, initially my intended purpose of the gun is plinking, maybe some coyotes, and SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The AR-18 (the father to the AR-180) was designed by Armalite to market a rifle that can be build under license without any complicated tooling like the AR-15.  The rifle uses a gas piston system as opposed to the gas tube design. This makes the rifle less prone to jammning caused by fouling.  The orginal AR-18/180 where a hitting and miss. Since the majority of the parts are stamped. It was prone to failure more than the AR-15(depending on which AR-18/180 manufactor the parts failed from).  The new redesigned AR-180B uses more common AR-15 interenals parts and mags.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember the old "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" saying.  The Bushmaster is here and now, the AR180B is not.  But when the 180B comes out, I am getting one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I really liked my Ar-180 and like a fool sold it a few years back. I'll go out on a limb and say that when it was developed, the Ar-18/180 was a superior design to the Ar-15/M-16. Of course, the Ar has had so many years of development that it is virtually the worlds standard today.

The great thing I liked ahbout the 180 was the folding stock. Although it was "rickety" and the hinging system fragile, the rifle took on a new dimension in the folded configuration. Otherwise, the construction is like a Russian pattern AKM i.e. folded and welded sheetmetal construction.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Zeppelin,
please remember that almost certainly none of us has ever shot the new AR-180B - I know I haven't.

With a little looking around you can probably find about a 90% Sterling AR-180, pre-ban, replete with all the evil features - flash-suppressor, bayonet lug, pistol grip, high cap mags and folding stock.
Your price should be in the $800 - $900 range.

Many of us that have owned pre-ban AR-180's didn't like the accuracy because we didn't take time to understand the design.
This rifle has a 1:12 twist rate barrel and will properly stabilize a 55 grn bullet but not a 62 grn.  With a 55 grn this little puppy is a tack driver.
There's few things more fun than getting some good hand loaded 55 grn match bullets and slinking out to the range with one of your AR-15 totin "Buds".  You won't be the one embarrased.
If you can nail one of the original scopes, they attach/detach in about five seconds, you have a fine shooting system.

Hell of a recommendation but the AR-180 was a favorite of the IRA - nickname "Widow maker"
They even wrote songs about it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Newbie !!
Why do I get this "ETH" feeling ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll let someone else be the early adopter on the 180B.  If it passes muster, I'll buy one.  But, like with cars... I never buy in the first model year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top