Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2001 4:32:27 PM EDT
I live near a large city, with a small number of dealers, given the area population.  I like doing business with independent dealers as opposed to the large chains, and had developed what I considered to be a good relationship with a local independent dealer. I never beat him down on price, and on special orders I let him tell me his price, and as long as I thought it was fair, I ordered, and paid for same.
Well since 9/11, I can't get the time of day out of this dealer.  I've bent over backwards giving them the benefit of the doubt regarding phone calls not returned, etc., but to no avail.
Hopefully, I have found a new one that knows the value of keeping a customer.
If you are fortunate to have a dealer that's giving you the same good service after 9/11 as before I hope you will continue to support them, even if it costs you a little bit more.
They are a valuable asset!
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have'nt noticed any difference in  any of the local Ft Worth dealers.  Also, I did'nt notice a increase of shooters at local ranges or gun shows. However, I have noticed a slight difference in what the gun show dealers were sellin on the tables.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much about the same- only thing that has changed is that the prices on .223 ammo at the local dealers have gone up....

I have noticed lots of new people coming into these shops, mostly people who were A) around guns a lot when they were younger and want to get back into it, for whatever reason, and B) people who knew nothing about guns and sincerely now want to get one. Both types are amazed and shocked to find that, despite what they had been led to believe, you CAN'T just walk into a gun shop and buy a gun in the USA. Can you say: "brainwashed"? When they learn the truth, the sight of the dropped jaws and eye-popping of these poor benighted souls is priceless...
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I get the same deals as I did before 9/11
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Houston reporting...same old shite..POOR CS from all the guys around me...WHY is the treatment of customers soooo bad in gun shops????Like buying a car..should be fun..BUT IT AINT!!! Ohh well...
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can you say: "brainwashed"? When they learn the truth, the sight of the dropped jaws and eye-popping of these poor benighted souls is priceless...

These smucks deserved to get what they got, for believing all of the non-sense BS from the news media and anti-gunners.  During the L.A. riots of '92 lots of folks truddled down to their local gun stores, and were surprised that they had to wait 15 days(back then we're down to 10 days wait now) for even a shotgun. Well thems are the breaks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Customer service seems to be about the same.  However, they have been trying to rape people with their prices since 9/11.

2 examples I have noticed:

AK-47 SAR-1 Romanian before 9/11 was $329.  Now, they are asking $449 for the same gun.  

They want $995 for a bushy M4 that they were asking $825 for before 9/11.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Dealers in my area are few and far between.They also mark up their inventory quite a bit.The only dealer I like to do business with is a home-based dealer about 60 miles from me and I really only do transfers with him.He is also selling SAR 1's for $450 and CETME's for $550.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#11]
The service and pricing from Virginia Arms in Manassas is the same as ever, but last time I was there Bernie was having trouble keeping anything in stock.  He usually has a good selection of ARs, AKs, FALs, etc.  Last time I was there he had two military type rifles on the rack, one was a Bushmaster Varminter that is a little too long and heavy for what most people would require, and an M1 carbine that a woman bought while I was there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
There are so many people in the store buying things, that I have to wait a bit longer, but the service is still GREAT! Heck, I just walk in there, stand buy the counter, he looks at me and says and as soon as the guy is done w/his current sell, he turns to me and ask's what I'm lookign for, I tell him which mag/rail/pouch/belt/whatever, he grabs it, ask's if that's it, and rings me out.

Also, the staff, ALWAYS acknowledges you when you come in, even the 1st time I was there. Since 9/11 it's basically just, a "hello" or, if you are by the counter or whatnot, a "hello, I'll be right with you". Not a huge deal I guess, but a lot better than at a show or some other dealers when you walk in and they act liek your not even there untill you pull out your visa card.

-Justin

Basically a top-notch place IMO.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Treats me better than most of my family does. The other day I mentioned to him that I was going to town, he asked me if I could go by the bank for him. I said sure and he handed me $1100+ to deposit for him. I was truly amazed as he doesn't know me that well and I haven't spent that much in his store, although, I do stop in just to shoot the bull pretty often.
He has kept his prices below most everybody in this part of the state. He also gets alot of trade-ins that he prices as trade-ins, not like they were new weapons.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]

The guys down at Adventure Sports in Edmonds, WA (Shameless plug... Maybe I'll get a discount ) were great before, and great after. My only regret is that I bought my AR from someone else before I met these guys. Have bought rifles from them, and had them run transfers for me as well. Great guys.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. I think a "Support your Local Sheriff(FFL)" thread is a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't notice a big difference in Houston myself.  The only difference I've noticed is that the wackos at the gun shows are more vocal than usual.  

"HEY!  You NEED an AK-47!  When the A-RABS invade, you can use their ammo against them!"
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Let's put it this way, prior th 9/11 my dealer was always quick and on the ball.  I had him order a DSA FAL on 10/15/2001.  After contacting DSA about my rifle, I found out the order was not even placed until 11/6/2001.  If it weren't for the 50% deposit I gave him as a gesture of my good faith, I would cancel the order.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, my dealer was paid a visit from BATF and now doesnt deal guns, so yes, he is different.  Currently trying to find one that wont rape me on transfers (actually heard 20% over the cost).  Anybody know a good FFL in southeastern Illinois, let me know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you guys in Houston tried Fountain Firearms? Jerry Fountain seems like a good guy. His gun shop sure is nice.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#19]
The dealer I use in SE New Mexico seems to have some better buys since 9-11.  Only have 3 to choose from unless you want to consider Wally World or K Market????  Sportsman's Supply still has the lowest prices in town.  The other 2.  One you have to climb a ladder to see the prices they are so high, and the other, the only way you get to see a firearm is to look in their catalog(stock in store is almost non-existant)
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#20]
i usually get at least a slight discount from the local dealer on stuff because by the time i go there to buy it ive done so much research that i know ten times what the dealer knows about the product/s. So to avoid getting a classroom lecture the dealer goes ahead and gives me a slight discount to get me outa there
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Well it seems as the majority of you are receiving the about the same level of service (mostly good from what I read)since 9/11.  That's a good thing, and I'm glad it's that way for you.
In this area I believe it's too much money chasing too few dealers, with too little inventory.  Basic laws of supply and demand! That's where I'm different, in that I won't chase a dealer, and beg him to take my money for something I want.  I don't need ANYTHING that bad. The sad part is that there aren't that many dealers in the area, and with most grabbing the quick buck, these will be the ones to go out of business when things become sane again.  Seems like everyone loses, doesn't it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top