Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2001 8:34:22 PM EDT
Hey there folks,
I am in need of a good gunsmith who is quick on the turn-around, not cheap, not too expensive, and someone YOU have used.
I need some seriously good work done on my 1911A1 Comp Model from Auto Ordnance before I head out to FrontSite in AZ.
Anyone used one here in the Illinois area??

Thanks!
Ed in Chicagoland
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Email antiUSSA [email protected] and ask him. He and Grin operate Castle Arms in IL, and he should be able to help you out.

Most they are going to point You in the direction of www.heinie.com/

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Village Sports in Arlighton Heights.  They have a pistol smith that hangs out there. I think his name is Ed.  The old timers are always bringing in stuff for him to fix and such.  

When calling, ask for Mike.  Tell him Carl sent ya.  He could help ya out.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
elgineddie,
I assume you're from Elgin, IL?
Have you ever heard of the Gun Doctor in Roselle, IL. I must say I never used their gunsmith before, but this is a very small family run business that has been in business for years.
Do you visit GAT Guns at all in Dundee?

www.gundr.com/

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Mark Krebs (not sure of his website)--the guy that makes the AK guns is also a good 1911 smith.  

Unfortunately for you, "Good" and "Fast" don't generally go together in the gunsmith business--it takes time to do a job right, and the good gunsmiths are always backed up for work.  If you are local, need only a little work done, and can get on someone's good side, you might be able to get it done quickly.

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I've been to GAT. Great for looking and getting ideas and then going to your FFL! ;-) I LOVE the guys that work behind the counter. No offense to any GAT employees that may read this forum, but GEEZ are they know-it-alls! I get that from so many places. I'm not even a newbie and I get the newbie attitude from almost every shoppe. I went into Riverside Sports in Geneva and the know-it-all in the ammo section actually told me I couldn't shoot .223 through my Colt .223 AR-15! He said only 5.56! I played dumb and listened to him for a while and left laughing. If I was the owner, I'd have fired him on the SPOT!
OK, I'll get off my soap box now!
I see Peppers Sports is out of biz, huh? Wild. I thought they were pretty fair. Maybe too fair. I've tried the Gun Doc in Roselle for some shot gun sights before but forgot about them for this. I just sent my 1911 to "Rock River Arms". I called them and they said they were slow while waiting for a shipment of frames so that now was a great time to get the weapon to them. Their prices seem very fair, too.
Sorry for the long, multi-tangent post.
-Ed in Chicagoland
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top