Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2001 4:06:03 PM EDT
Iam thinking of a 9mm as my next pistol purchase and the Beretta would be ideal,but so expensive!Is the Taurus as good?What is the difference between the 92 and 99 Taurus guns?The only difference I see in just handling the Beretta&Taurus is the craftmanship.Would the Taurus last as long?Thankful for any input!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to go wrong with the Beretta.  I've had no problems of any kind with my 92FS.  It's an enjoyable gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
This months G&A reviews a plastic framed .45 acp and comments on Taurus' innovations and excellence.

Taurus locates the safety/decocker on the frame as opposed slide mount on the Beretta.  The speed of getting off the first shot from a holstered, chambered Taurus has been compared with the Beretta and Taurus came out on top because the thumb can take it off safe faster.

Regarding how long will it last--Taurus has a life time fix it or replace it free warrantee--the best in the industry.

I have the PT 45 and am very satisfied.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Mulder, Having shot about 4000 or so rounds through an early  PT99 I don't think it is a bad gun at all. It is an early Taurus made on BERETTA's old tooling left behind in Brazil after their contract was up. It is a great gun. Never had any problems. It pretty much is a Beretta with a frame mounted safety. Functions 110%. Do I like it as much as my 92FS? Nope, for some reason I like the Beretta better, just got used to it's safety I guess before the Taurus. Would recommed either.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I also had an older PT99. Worked beautifully. Ate anything you could feed it without a problem. Accuracy was not great due to the way the barrel was able to move in the slide. I bought an after market bolt on compensator that had a beveled edge that locked the barrel in the slide when it was ready to fire. I would buy another one since I don't have that one anymore, but still have 3 factory 15 round mags. for it.
As far as I can remember, the only difference between the 92 and the 99 was the sights, the 99's were/are adjustable.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
the difference between th e pt92 and pt99 is that the 99 has fully adjustable sights, as opposed to just a drift adjustable rear on the 92. imho they are both great guns as they are the same ting with the exception of the sights. i have a pt92 that has well over 10000 rounds through it with NO mishaps, jams, breakdowns whatsoever. it is ready for a new recoil spring but is otherwise 100 percent as good as it was new, besides it is a couple of hundred less than a comparable beretta. my money is on the taurus.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#7]
GWF, You wouldn't be inclined to part with those Taurus mags would you? My PT92 could always use another mag or threehan
Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the input guys!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a stainless Taurus PT92 once.  it was a GREAT gun, never jammed, never hiccuped.  I PREFER the Tauru's frame mounted controls.  I only sold it because it was too BIG & thick.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the PT-99 Taurus.
I bought it cheap as it had a broken trigger bar.
Sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it for free no questions asked!
Runs like a champ, seems to prefer hotter loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My cousin has a Taurus he's put 10,000+ rnds through. Only problem was last year,the locking block cracked . He sent it back and it was fixed.
He bought another one from a pawn shop....2,000 rnds, no problem so far.

I'm a 1911 fan myself,but I liked the Taurus.
I was looking at a 99 and a 92 {Taurus} at a pawn shop and called him to find out the difference.  Sights only.  I might just have to buy both "just because".

Hope my $.02 helps.

"I'd rather have it and not need it,than need it and not have it."
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had both and for what its worth I kept the Beretta and sold the Taurus.  The only real difference was in the finish quality.  I would bet my life on either of these guns working, any time, all the time.  I have had better reliablity with this design pistol then with any other except my HK .45C.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top