Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2001 6:59:19 AM EDT
I chopped my 16" M4 barrel down about a inch and re-threaded it to give it a overall length of 16" including the permanently installed KK Tac brake.
What is the standard 16” barrel gas port diameter, and do I need to enlarge the gas port to a size in-between the 16” barrel and the 14.5” barrel gas port?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
No - you don't need to open up the gas port for that.  Its only when the barrel goes down to about 11.5" or shorter with only a birdcage or 3-prong on the end that you may have problems which require the gas port to be opened up a bit.  I've had a number of 11.5" uppers and all have run fine with no mods to the gas port (but the extractor springs and buffer in a full auto shorty... well now, thats a different story...)
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't mess with the gas port opening, I spoke with Tom Barr of Bushmaster about it, and from my conversation, it seem that the opening is real precise.  If you mess it up, it could cost you a bunch to fix it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top