Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 10:10:15 AM EDT
Why is it that the military frowns on personnel carrying the M16/AR15 by the handle? Does it affect the sights?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm unaware of any such frowning.  Some NCOs may not like it, but no one cares how it's carried in combat.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
The only stupid question I know of, is one that's never asked.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#3]
It really depends on the Unit and NCOIC or OIC of that unit.  

However, if the weapon is carried by the handle it will actually take longer to get the weapon to a ready position to fire.  This may only be a fraction of a second, but sometimes that is all that matters.  If the weapon is carried by the forward grip or pistol grip then it is obviously more easy to bring into a ready to fire position.

medcop
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Because when you'r in rank and file or walking behind or in front of someone for that matter.And you are carying you'r rifle by the handle you muzzel sweep every one near you.For some odd reason not to many pepole care for this to much.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Chuck,
None of the NCO's or Officers I trained under allowed carry by the handle.  The rifle was either being shot, carried at port arms (or some other ready position), or slung.

'Front Leaning Rest Position' was the usual result of carrying an M16 by the carryhandle <G>.

I remember a coment of "Its a rifle not a suitcase".

Then again this was stateside in training environments.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Carry your weapon like a suit case and run into , lets say, a chimera wouldnt you want your weapon in your hands already. When I carry suitcase style Im in the vacation mode in my head, and I dont intend to shoot anything. Im sure it might go with others like this.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top