Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 6:01:56 AM EDT
Does anyone have a recomendation on where to get the best price on Olympic Firearms.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me save you some trouble...
www.bushmaster.com
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
go to www.olyarms.com/usa.html and browse their online catalog....  Then purchase it through an FFL, who will order direct from Olympic Arms.  If he charges you the prices listed in the retail catalog, he's making a good profit....
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a VA resident that wanted to buy an AR15 from me. Sadly VA has some laws on the book that a state level background check must be done for this type of firearm. Out of state dealers can not do this. So it is illegal for you to get one from an out of state dealers.  I would suggest you goto some site like auction arms.com or gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com and click on transfering dealer lookup. There you can find a listing of VA state dealers and what thier charge is for ordering in firearms.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
David-

I have a FFL dealer who is willing to take a transfer for me, however he is not willing to order one from Olympic. If I can find a good deal on an Olympic PCR 5 or Plinker, I will have the gun sent to the dealer.  That being said, do you know of any good deals out there.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Dano33, I'll second what M4 said and get the bushmaster. I bought an oly-m4orgery and snapped the bolt in half within the first 500 rounds of use. Save yourself from the disapointment and get the bushmaster. My wifes bushmaster v-match is light years ahead in quality and performance compared to my sad little oly. I've seen them in shotgun news for as little as $699. Find a dealer to transfer the item for a small fee and you are all set.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
On the other hand, I never had any problems with my Oly preban CAR-15, and it was one of the best shooting rifles I ever had.  I like my Bushmaster too, but Olys aren't that bad.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like we might have one or two Bushmaster fans here.  What would you all say is the best entry level Bushmaster (plinking) to get and who has the best prices?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Last time I checked FAC had the plinkers for $524.95

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#9]
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2s14ak.asp
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2s16d.asp
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2s20.asp
Try anyone of these rifles depending on what configuration you like the best. All are damn good entry level AR's.

P.S.- I've heard good things about this entry level AR from DPMS.
www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=11035&CATID=493
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Wiggins-

Can you give me more contact info on FAC.  Thank you and everyone else that has responded so far.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]
To those of you who have issues with Olympic Arms..I would be more than happy to address them here or feel free to call one of our reps if anybody has any questions.

First of all, I've only heard of three broken bolts in the six months I've worked here.  Two of them failed due to bad reloads that the customers used, the other was undeterminable.  We back up our rifles and parts with a LIFETIME warrantee against manufacturer defect.  (Idaho-AR15...if you send that bolt back to us, we will replace it free of charge.)

I'm not going to come on here and rip on other manufacturers.  Also, I'm not on a commission-sales basis either so my post here is just to get the facts on the table.

We don't make "cheap" rifles either, we are able to keep our costs down by making our own barrels, receivers, bolts/carriers, and all major componants right here in one place.  Also, we don't spend a huge amount of money on advertising...as cocky as this may sound, word of mouth usually does the advertising for us.

When comparing us to other brands, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  It wouldn't be fair to take one of our standard h-bar rifles and say it's not as good as somebody else's "super high-speed sniper" models.  We do make an UltraMatch barrel for some of our PCRs, guaranteed to hit 1/4" groups at 100yrds (granted you are using the right ammo/grain for the twist in the barrel, you aren't target shooting in 60mph crosswinds, and you didn't drink a pot of coffee before you left for the range.)

Anyway, here's a thread you might want to check out:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=61988

Curt
Olympic Arms
1-800-228-3471

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
zombee, while you are talking about oly's "stelar" warranty let's not forget to point one thing in your lifetime warranty. AMMO, your warranty states that the warranty will be void if the consumer uses anything but american produced commercial ammo. No surplus ammo, no us contract ammo and no reloads.  Dano33 is looking to save money where he can, how is he supposed to afford commercial ammo for his bargain basement ar??  

Thanks for the offer to send the bolt in, this happened about 8 months ago and was told by oly that I was SOL since I used LC surplus ammo. A very understanding dealer here on ar15.com read about my problems and promptly replaced my bolt free of charge. He now has a customer for life!

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
While I do appreciate all the responses so far, I noticed that I have  gotten very few recomendations for places that actually sell either Bushmasters or Olympic Arms. That being said, can anyone recommend a business that has good prices?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#15]
dano33, go to your local bookstore and buy a copy of Shotgun News for about $4. In it you will find several ads for bushmaster rifles at great prices. When you find the one you want take the ad to your FFL and have him order it for you. Before ordering make sure and find out how much the ffl will charge for the ordering. Some FFL's want %10, some want a set fee. My FFL orders stuff for a flat $10 fee.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#16]
my only complaints with my new Oly ar-15 are:

1. that there is too much movement between the upper & lower. Bushmaster doesn't seem to have that problem.

2. that & the careless machining marks on the gun.

other than that the gun works fine & produces nice groups.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
my only complaints with my new Oly ar-15 are:

1. that there is too much movement between the upper & lower. Bushmaster doesn't seem to have that problem.

2. that & the careless machining marks on the gun.

other than that the gun works fine & produces nice groups.

Our uppers/lowers should have very little, if any, movement when they leave our factory.  They should loosen up slightly after the break-in period.  Not sure what to tell you about the "careless" machining marks on the gun...to be honest, I haven't had a customer mention that before.  You can send it back and we'll have our techs take a look at it if you want.

Curt
Olympic Arms
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Dano33, Look at youngsguns.com or call him at 931-372-7640 that's after you think you have found your best deal.Tell'em John sent ya.!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I have four Oly ARs and have been completely satisfied with them.  Althought the last one I bought did have some nasty machining marks or dents or something on the upper when I bought it and the front sight wasn't completely vertical on the barrel.  I haven't sent it back because I have heard it takes forever to get your rifle back...  Nothing too serious, just enough to piss you off each time you see it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Just checked Youngsguns.  Does $830.00 sound right for a Bushmaster E2S 20".  Isn't that high?  By the way, thank you all for your posts as this really does help.  I will be ordering an AR by the end of next week so please do not think your post are going to waste.  

On a side note, I like the fact that Oly arms is going out of their way to defend their product.  To me, that says a lot about a company.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just checked Youngsguns.  Does $830.00 sound right for a Bushmaster E2S 20".  Isn't that high?  By the way, thank you all for your posts as this really does help.  I will be ordering an AR by the end of next week so please do not think your post are going to waste.  

Have you considered getting a "kit" gun from OLYMPIC Arms?  You get a fully assembled and headspaced upper and the parts for a lower, except for the lower reciever.  You can order the kit without an FFL, directly from their web site.  THEN, order a reciever (Olympic or other) and have that sent to your FFL.  I got a HBAR 20" rifle for about $550.00.  No complaints, and I learned a lot about how it's put together (of course you need instructions)...
Richardson
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#22]
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT MINE HAS!!!  nasty dent (machining mark) on the upper & (very) minor ones elsewhere.  it doesn't affect the operation of the gun, but sure makes it annoying!!!  I looked at some Oly at some gun shows & they *ALSO* have these NASTY dents and in almost the exact SAME SPOT.  

It was my 1st ar-15, so I didn't know how to look at the details, like the upper & lower moving...  when I twist my upper & lower (in opposite directions), there is SIGNIFICANT movement.  I tried that on a few BMs & Armilites, they have almost NO MOVEMENT between the upper & lower.  they are DEFINITELY WORTH the extra $$$  IMO.  

Quoted:
Althought the last one I bought did have some nasty machining marks or dents or something on the upper when I bought it and the front sight wasn't completely vertical on the barrel.  I haven't sent it back because I have heard it takes forever to get your rifle back...  Nothing too serious, just enough to piss you off each time you see it.

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Dano33, email me with what you want.

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Man I just love my Olympia Arms AR15...although I would like to find a receiver plate (part#AR97) for less than $10.95....just joking, I emailed Curt last week at Oly Arms about a replacement that I lost...but all kidding aside...My Oly Arms AR is great, and as far as recommending only shooting "decent" ammo thru it, who can blame then for that. Its the only thing to say. I've got a friend with the same Oly as mine just about and he shoots any and everything thru it...Bang! without a problem at all..ever!  I don't think you'll go wrong with Oly or BM. But hey why not get a damn good rifle with a little mony left over for the other stuff you'll need instead of spending it all on just the rifle....just my thoughts...Russell
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#25]
if I could turn back time...  I CERTAINLY would have spent the extra $200 & gotten a BushMaster.  what's $200 when U are already in $700?!  the QUALITY makes the difference.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#26]
All this fuss over oly!  I've had an oly service rifle, new, for that past month or so.  Have put only 300 rounds thru it without a single fte, ftf, or other malfunction.  It took about 200 rds for the grouping to settle in, but thats expected on a new piece!  I'm happy with the look and finish; and you can't beat the price! Am very satisfied with the workmanship. A premium rifle at a resonable price.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Dano33 - I only have experience with Oly receivers.  I assembled one with a DPMS NM upper for service rifle shooting and it shoots better than I can hold.  The only machining marks I can see are around the ears where the pivot pin goes and inside the mag well.  GI mags work fine, but Thermolds are tight.  Upper to lower fit is very tight.  No failures of any kind.  Finish is on par with my Armalite.  In fact, I've had a few FTEs with the Armalite using new PMS ammo.  Also, I ordered these lowers about seven months before the big ban here in CA, and Oly was the only place who came thru for me and got me them before time ran out.  For that I am very grateful to them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Bought a stripped oly receiver from my FFL, and a SS PCR upper carbine kit direct from oly. While there was confusion over the shipping of the lower, I must say I am quite happy with the weapon.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Regarding the lifetime warranty, most pistols state the same thing use only factory ammo, but no one asks for proof. The biggest problem is the laqured russian ammo, and since it is an identified problem just don't use it.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Let me save you some trouble...
www.bushmaster.com

ROTFLMFAO!  
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#31]
timh70, if you fubar one of oly's rifles with anything other than american made commercial ammo, expect to have them wanting the offending brass to be examined so they can blame the ammo manufacting company. If it's american made ammo they can blame the ammo maker, if it's foreign they have a pretty tough time making a company in another country cover your rifle.

idaho-ar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top