Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2001 1:57:22 PM EDT
I just got back from a fun afternoon of plinking with my AR.
Some of the best targets we had were 1 Gallon Milk Jugs filled with water. They exploded nicely and being plastic, were relatively safe.
What are some of the "plinking" targets you guys like to use????
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Cats.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Jesus, I am kidding guy's... I'd never shoot a cat. (less it pissed me off)
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Oranges.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
little pumpkins. frozen. the ones about 5-8 inches across.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I realize you'd have to be back far enough to avoid the shrapnel, but what do you all think of using those cheap cans of shaving cream? They're like $0.89 or so......
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used clay birds that is used for trap & skeet and cookies.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
A 12 rifle gong - instant feedback on every shot.

Glass sucks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Cheap ass cans of soda pop, old clogged spray paint cans are some of my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
RITZ crackers at 200 yds, break real good and no cleanup.-----small balloons tied to string, you can blow them up to any size you want and on a windy day they can be real fun to hit, ---------Shiny roofing nails driven into a 1/4" plywood strip, nailed to a stake and sunk in ground.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I like shooting old expired fire extinguishers that aren't of any more use.  Spray paint cans that are almost ebtirely empty are good as they still have a tiny bit of pressure left.  Armadillos are also a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
true story. no kidding! A woman that we used to rent to moved a few months ago to a nice house in the next county. It Is a nice place and she likes it alot. The only problem was with some dumbass hunters who would carelessly "hunt" in the woods very close to her land. she was afriad to take walks in the woods most of the time and was looking for a solution. At first she considered having some friends build a potato gun to lob potatos into the woods but my dad and brother and myself came up with a better idea.

we had some old 3d deer targets with the cutouts in the target area. you know the kind you use for bow practice. Well we filled the inside with reloading gunpower and put exploding targets on either side before closing up the targets the best we could.

from long range they actually looked alive to the bozos hunting near her home.

needless to say after blowing a few deer to smithereens those idiots found other places to hunt.

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the biodegradeable kind, and balloons (easy to pick up after and easy to carry).

As for all the other stuff, I'm used to seeing it left littering up the countryside by people who shoot it and leave it.

DON'T !!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Cats.

Yes cats are great fun but so are propane bottles,and old cars!
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
bowling pins
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
A case of Rainer Lite, 24 exploding targets, costs like 4 bucks, can't drink the crap, might as well shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Clay trap targets.  Steel plates.  

A lot of the items that have been suggested sound cool.  I hope you guys are not leaving the non-biodegradable debris all over the woods.  If you do, you should be ashamed of yourselves.  You're not helping the gun culture any by being pigs.  

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Like Klink said Bowling pins. You can put many rounds into the same pin. Yea they jump and roll around. I like junk cars also. It's kinda cool to see how a bullet travels and expands through a car, real messy!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone put an exploding target on a full coleman 1lb fuel tank?  I tried last week, but I missed the target and burst the bottle.  Problem was, I didn't know what kind of boom to expect, so I was shootin from waaay back with a 10/22.  What kinda bang will that make?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#21]
The 1lb tanks don't really do that much.  Just be careful...every once in a while the tank will launch like a rocket.  Be prepared for it to come at you!  It makes a nice fireball that you don't want to be around...probably 10ft across...
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I have often been tempted to fill a milk jug with gasoline (my dad has kept some in one before, so I know it won't melt) and shoot it with a tracer, but have never done it for fear of starting a fire.

Sure, cats are fun, but if you really want a challenge you have to find a smaller target. That's why I prefer kittens!

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Talibani??

Great self indicating targets

Second only to cats
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#25]
EMPTY mapp or propane cylinders......
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#26]
That SOB, John Walker who went to fight for the Taliban. Oh wait, the NA and US already used his legs for target practice.

I like:

Baloons. I filled one up with 100% Propane. Unfortunately, it didn't ignite. Probably due to lack of air.

Cars. Buy an old POS. Sometimes, the bargain ads in the Newspaper have them for $100 or less. Once in a while somebody will give a POS broken down car away to anyone that'll tow it away.

Soda bottles. Well shook up of course.

Cans of soda. Shake them up real good, then shoot at real close range. I love it when they blow and spray you with Soda.

Anything that explodes.

You can mix Ferric Chloride Etching Acid (Available at Radio Shack) and Epsom Salt. Mix well. When it dries, it will soak up Acetone like a sponge. Also, burns like a bitch. Shape the charge and fire at it with incidiary tracers. It should catch on fire when hit.

Black Powder can work too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Baloons. I filled one up with 100% Propane. Unfortunately, it didn't ignite. Probably due to lack of air.

Did you use a tracer?  That'll do it everytime.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want something cool.

Take an 18" Exhaust Pipe, a muffler, and some Propane and Butane.

Attach the Muffler behind the exhaust pipe. Tilt at an angle, then cap the back of the muffler. This should be a cap that will disintegrate upon firing. Now, pour a bunch of Butane in the tail pipe end. wait a minute for evaporation (I use acentone also), then take the oxyacetylene torch and attach propane in place of the acetylene. Remove the oxygen cyclinder. Open the oxygen valve. Now, place the end cover ed with your hand in the end of the tail pipe. crank the valve open until the Propane/air becomes a cold liquid mist.

Remove the torch. Get the the torch away and light her off with a match. Watch your hands. I burned mine this way. They got in front of the barrel.

KaBoom.

First time I did this when I was a kid, a cop car came around a few minutes later. Fortunately, I was concealed from view.

I wonder, 75mm bore, Equipped with a Flash Suppressor/Silencer (Muffler). Don't try this unless you are a kid, then you can get off. The ATF may get pissed.

Basically, the Muffler allows the blast to be directed out the proper end rather than blowing both directions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#29]
All those cd's that AOHell keeps sending me.
Steve
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#30]
There's folks around here that like to shoot up stuff just like you all mentioned. Problem is, they leave it lying around, trashing up the place. I'm pretty much sick of it. Think of how many shooting places have been closed down because the landowner either; is fed up with having to clean up the mess themselves, or they are afraid some shooter will be making a mess and therefore won't let anyone shoot on their property.
I take a roll of masking tape (wide)  and tape squares on a backstop. If I need a bullseye, I use a marker. As I shoot, I go downrange and tape up my holes - instant new target. When I'm done, I pull up the tape, drop it in my bucket of empty shells and go home. I also pack out some of the mess some other asshole has left behind.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
All those cd's that AOHell keeps sending me.
Steve

Funny, I use those for kickstand pucks on my motorcycles for soft asphalt.  

I also use cheap pop.  Love the way they pop and flatten out.  Clay targets are also great and paper plates stapled to a wooden pallet work well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
There's folks around here that like to shoot up stuff just like you all mentioned. Problem is, they leave it lying around, trashing up the place. I'm pretty much sick of it. Think of how many shooting places have been closed down because the landowner either; is fed up with having to clean up the mess themselves, or they are afraid some shooter will be making a mess and therefore won't let anyone shoot on their property.
I take a roll of masking tape (wide)  and tape squares on a backstop. If I need a bullseye, I use a marker. As I shoot, I go downrange and tape up my holes - instant new target. When I'm done, I pull up the tape, drop it in my bucket of empty shells and go home. I also pack out some of the mess some other asshole has left behind.

Just for your information I shoot on my own property and yes, I do pick up after my self and countless others that leave there hulls and trash after they have trespassed on my property.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Halfcocked, sorry you have to put up with people like that. I have 26 acres in the Ozarks (family property) that I don't get out to except every 10 years or so it seems. I know from other family out there that people use my sister's road front prop. for a trash dump, and they hunt on mine without  asking permission of me or local family. Is it hard for them to find the owner? Not really. I have people call me up about buying the property, or getting a r.o.w. across it.
I shoot sometimes on local logging property. The employees set up a 100yd range with one bench. I went to the head office and spoke with the land manager about using it. I also check before I go out to see if they are logging up there. I've heard from some loggers that they can be working on their property and hear people shooting around them. Some folks seem to think that since they don't SEE anything going on just off the road, they can pull off any old road and start shooting at all the shit they haul out there, i.e. t.v.'s, washers, computers, etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#34]
pumpkins are free after halloween, so they're fun.
small jugs, balloons or anything filled with flour.
the itsy-bitsy, teeny-tiny, little brains of cat haters.
any beer in a can, shaken, not stirred.
here's a dangerous and challenging target: lay a 12ga. shell on its side (business end away from you) walk back 100-200 m, and try to hit the primer.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Soaking wet phone books (soak underwater for 1/2 hour - nice expansions and exit holes),  pop cans filled with gasoline with tracer (look out!), used oil filters, hub caps, shock absorbers, (used to work in automotive service), 2X4's...
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#36]
old food works great
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I use cutouts of senator fienstien mounted on a rectangle of sheet steel... especially good target for 50s at long range (my uncle's gotta barret single-shot... damn thats a helluva gun)
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#38]
The propane tanks are cool- I think Rifleman has a video on his hompage of .50 cal API vs. propane tank (looks like 5 pounder!)
For cheap thrills, take a bag of flour(no metal shrapnel), open the top of the bag, pour in enough gasoline to wet the flour, but don't make it into a paste. Add exploding target, get back 25 yds minimum. Aim & fire. Ooohhh....Aaahhhh
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Melons and plastic juggs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top