Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2001 7:01:51 AM EDT
Kahr purchased Auto Ordinance sometime ago. I know Kahr makes an execellent gun and in fact manufactures machinery used in the building of firearms.
I am considering purchasing an Auto Ordinance 45 but I wanted some feedback from anyone who might have handled one of the new 45's. Also on the current prices.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to believe no one here has some info.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#2]
well, this is AR15.com.  It's probably just whoever DOES know, hasn't been online to read your post yet.  Patience, Grasshoppa.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Nick,
I`ve heard and read good things about the Auto ordinance .45s. Haven`t actually seen one myself. You may want to repost this on the handguns weaponsforum. Just click on the sites tab and it will give you the link. There are a growing # of 1911 aficiondos over there. HTH
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
 I own an Auto Ordnance 1911.  It's fine if you feed it decent quality ball ammo, you will have problems with anything else.  A little polishing and throating are in order if you want to use it for anything else.  Fit & finish are good.  I'd buy another one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Regarding prices:

A few months ago my local gun shop had both the Auto Ordnance and Springfield Armory mil-spec pistols in stock.  The price was exactly the same -- about $500, I think.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Auto Ordinance Frame with a Colt 1911 slide and Wilson Combat barrel and small parts.

I really like it and it will feed anything you want to put into it..cheap surplus, ball, hollow points..anything!

I guess this is really a Franken45, but hey...it has still got AO parts in it.

medcop
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
It's my understanding that since Kahr took
over the company, the production quality
control has gotten better.  I also believe
that Kahr was founded by the Rev. Moon, or he
had something to do with it.  John
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Justin Moon is the son of Rev. Sun Myung Moon.  Justin is still an active member of the Unification Church. Whether he fronts as ownership of Kahr/Auto Ordinance or "donates" to the Unification Church from the company is immaterial.  Buy a Kahr or an Auto Ordinance and you are supporting the Moonies.  It is up to you to decide whether or not that is undesirable.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had 5 AO 45s over the years and have loved each one.  Don't know of the newer ones though.  Each one needed a little fine tuning but otherwise shot great.  I still have a very customized full size and a Pit Bull ZG-51 that I machined a 2pc guide rod for and parkerized the control bits.  Shoots great.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The "new" post-Kahr AO's are said to be a step above their previous quality level.  If you could find one for $350 or so, go for it.  

At anything like $500 or so, go with the Springfield.  I didn't like the one Springfield Champion I once owned, but it wasn't because it wasn't a well-made gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top