Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 5:54:15 AM EDT
and they had NO jams,glitches or malfunctions on ANY kind! The test gun they used was, the Colt match target AR .223...new of course.

I wish they had a website...it's the (Autoloaders buyer's guide) for 2001.

They put 10 boxes of PMC 55 fmj through it's test...firing shots over a 3 day period. One of their staff shooters fired groups downrange that measured 0.79 inch after 8,000 rounds,well under MOA. It began to lose "some" accuracy after 9,000 rounds..due to barrel throat washing out.

The Author of the article admits,"I'm going to have to rethink my position on these rifles...it does'nt look or feel like a traditional rifle..but it sure shoots like one!"

Good review and read for those contemplated an AR purchase...you can probably pick up a copy at the local Mag Newstand. Or if some of the compu-guru's can hunt their site down.

He also tested a Bushy upper.And he loved it too!

Just thought I'd "share",
NAKED
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
That had to be a fluke.  Most AR's cannot run through a full magazine w/o some kind of malfunction ;^)/

10,000 rounds and it shoots like a traditional rifle?  Show me a traditional centerfire that can shoot 10k rounds without a hitch.  Very few, if any.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Naked...I'm sure you are posting this as a rebuttal to the AR "bashing" thread by Cosair.

I bet they did all of that shooting from a bench.  Any mention of them rolling around in the dirt, sand, mud, rain, etc.?  I bet not.  Definitely not the type of shooting you'd get at Thunder Ranch (believe me, I froze my ass off in the rain there a year ago).

However, good to see that the AR held up so well regardless.  I love my AR, and hope it would perform as well too (although, it's never malfunctioned...I've barely broken it in).
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is the article

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingTimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=1205
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
www.galleryofguns.com/shootingTimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=1205

Great post NG. 1000 rounds between cleanings is very impressive. Just goes to show what a non milspec, overpriced Colt can do. It would be unlikely that Colt gave Shooting Times a "ringer" for their 10000 round test as the rifle was new.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
10,000 rounds 'aint that much!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't put 10,000 rounds thru my Colt (yet), but it has never malfunctioned either!  Oh wait....one time I pulled the trigger with the safety on, and it wouldn't go off!

I have never had any problems with any Colt and I don't know anyone who has.  None of my service rifles ever messed up either!

As far as I'm concerned, Colt makes an Outstanding product!

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Smoken,
Thanks for the fetch and catch on the article...I'm glad that there was a link to bolster my post.

Tailgate,
No rebuttal, just clarification on the obvious questions a potential AR buyer would have. There's been enough AR degradation going on...just wanted to help clarify some FACTUAL findings on the AR's performance. I have 2 AR's and an AK...there is no competition between the 2. It's like having Brittney Speares and Jennifer Lopez as your girlFRIENDS! They're both good...why mess up a good relationship?

10,000 rounds in couple days, even on a bench...hell, thats still alot of heat and use. Anyway...it's was good to see the gun do well under heavy use.

Now...where's Brittney?
NAKED
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Great post NG. 1000 rounds between cleanings is very impressive. Just goes to show what a non milspec, overpriced Colt can do. It would be unlikely that Colt gave Shooting Times a "ringer" for their 10000 round test as the rifle was new.

I doubt COLT could make a "ringer" in the first place
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Remember this was not a chrome lined barrel, although the chamber was, and it was 1/9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top