Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2001 9:41:16 PM EDT
Hello all:

Have the opportunity to buy a NIB SAR-1 for $350 with three 30 round mags. Anyone owning one please comment on your likes/dislikes. Price seems CHEAP. This topic may have been posted before but I usually only pay attention to AR-15 stuff. Why is this 1/3 the price of the 6700C I bought 9 months ago?

Jonathan
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems a little high. I got mine NIB March 2000 for 300 even... but with no hi-caps. I bought 8 E-German 30rd mags for 6.50 each from ClassicArms not long after I bought it. If you look around you can still find romanian or bulgarian hi-caps for 5-7 each
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
figure 280 dealer for the gun, plus 20 bucks shipping, 25 bucks FFL fee, plus 9.95 per mag from CDNN.  354.85 total thats pretty good actually.  I like mine it has a little trigger slap but over all is fun to shoot, ammo is 90 bucks a case from the right guy.  Go have fun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Few places have SAR-1 for sale for $280 anymore. This seems like a good deal. Make sure the gas tube and sight aren't canted. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The SARs can be a bit rough & crude (even for an AK) but are as rugged and reliable as any AK out there (most SAR problems are caused by the POS US internals needed so the pistol grip stock configuration is legal). $350 isn't bad for a NIB SAR-1 w/mags. I have 2 of the 5.45 SAR-2s and am now past the 4,000rd mark w/no problems. To remove/prevent trigger slap I installed a US-made stockset that allowed me to legally replace the US-made trigger & disconnector w/their original Romanian AK-74 counterparts ($20 from Tennessee Guns).
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think that is too bad for the current price.  I got mine right before they jumped over the 300 mark.  Not the prettiest rifle out there, but you shouldn't care about that too much (pretty is the AR).  Its a lot of fun and you can run cheaper Wolf ammo through it without a problem.  I'll restate what AK_Boy said and mention to ask/check the sites.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a good retail deal.  They are going about $369 here in Ohio.  Don't confuse internet or SGN prices with retail.  Those are wholesale prices to the dealer.  The advantage in paying retail is that you get to inspect before purchase and don't have to wait for UPS.  I own one of each SARs and think they are all great, not the prettiest AKs out there, but fully functional and accurate.  All in all a best buy in the world of US legal AKs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got an "ok to look at" AK, but a "pretty" AK?  

I think that's why I like them so much, the can look beat to hell but will pick up and shoot EVERY single time.  

7.62x39 with mags for $350 used may be a little high, get him to knock it down to $320-340 and you'll have a good deal on your hands.  

Of course you realize you must come back and tell us how you did!  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds like a good retail deal.  They are going about $369 here in Ohio.  

SAR-1s run about $389 here in MA shops, last I looked. I should get one, as I doubt they will get cheaper anytime soon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#9]
That's pretty much the going rate for them right now.  There's a higher demand because of the security panic, the AKs on the news all the time, and the importer raised prices as well.  The price may drop slightly in the future, but I seriously doubt it.  A while back, many on the boards were saying to buy those things then, as it was "the good ole days right now" that you'd remember in the future.  I don't think they were wrong.

$350 is still a good price for a great gun, but you may want to consider looking into the different variants and such.  I still see Bulgarians and Hungarians for only $100 more, and they are a nicer gun.  Still, they don't work any better.  An AK works, pure and simple.  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid 400 for mine which included a soft case, 3-30 round mags and a little over 700 rounds of Wolf Ammo. (Thanks Ray)

Buy it, you'll like it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Atarian: Why is this 1/3 the price of the 6700C I bought 9 months ago?  

Most politically incorrect toys have come down in price over the last several months.
SARs are a little rough, kinda ugly, & absolutely reliable (Like an AK ought to be!).

Buy it while you've got the bug
(and the price is right), you'll like it!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a "me too" post, but I think the days of $250 SARs are over.

Aim Surplus had some for $300+ with a couple of mags, but now it looks like they're out of them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top