Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2001 3:05:20 PM EDT
Last year the state closed the Delaware wildlife area ranges to any shooting during January and February. When I contacted them about this, they gave me the bottom line speech. When I asked them why they didn't leave it open on the weekend (Sat-Sun), they said they had averaged the weekly range use and that there didn't seem to be enough usage during that period to warrant staffing the range to keep it open. I explained that averaging totals from Wednesday through Sunday wouldn't be an accurate averaging, since most people do visit the range on the weekends, since it's out in BFE. Well, they must not have given a squat, since their site at www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/shooting/granges.html#hours says the ranges will be closed again this Jan-Feb.

Would anyone like to help me persuade the state to change its evil ways???
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Same thing at Grand River here in the northeast.  The rangemaster told me that they averaged two to five people per week in January.  He would finish removing all of the snow just in time to go home, then come back the next day just to do it all over again.  This of course, is the heart of snow belt country.

I guess I can see their point.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
See, here's my issue though, and why this is on the firearms discussion board. I want to get a new gun, or upper, or something. I ride my bike during the Spring, Summer, and Fall, but from November through March, it's all about shooting. So I don't want to get a new toy if I can't use it until March.

I know the range is busy on the weekends during the winter, because I used to be there all the time with my buddies. I can see their situation with staffing during the week, but they need to cut the shooters some slack...
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot for the first time at Grand River a few weeks ago.  Nice facility.  The staff were polite and diligent keeping the range safe.  Don't really know if I will be shooting outside during the snowy season.  The little lady gets chilly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Come on down to spring valley! I'll shoot with you.
AIRBORNE!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
That's cool, but Spring Valley is even further away than the club in Centerburg. Right now the Delaware range is a 15 minute drive for me, Centerburg is 30, and Spring Valley is, God knows. I have heard that range is supposed to be sweet. Where is it exactly?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]

The Club I shoot at (Tusco) in the New Philly area is open all year (except the deer gun season, when members have the run of the place to hunt without fear of too many wayward rounds ;)
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Spring valley is south east(slightly) of dayton.  off the top of my head, I believe it's off of 42.  I've driven it so many times, I never look at the names of the streets.  It's near Bellbrook, Sping Valley, a little north of waynesville.  Very Nice Range, they've recently remodeled it.  the nice thing is that the 50, 75, and 100yd ranges are seperated by horseshoe berms, so that they are seperate ranges.  The downside is you can't shoot closer than 50.
Go to ODNR's website, and it has a map, or address, I believe.
AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#8]
The closest range to me is Middletown Sportsmans Club. However, that is a long haul for you northern Ohio folks. Spring Valley is close enough to me (30 minutes away)

If we can get a shoot together for Spring Valley I know myself and at least one other AR owner that will be there...
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Spring Valley is the last road to the left (Roxanna-New Burlington) on 42 before your cross from Greene to Warren County.

It's a great little place to shoot. I will be there tomorrow morning @ 9:30 am if it doesn't rain.

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Are there any more ranges outside of Columbus, Ohio to go shooting, aside from the Deleware location????
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
BenDover,
I've got tentative plans to be out there tomarrow (sat, 24) morning.  I'm supposed to take my brother and his son out there with me. I'll look for you. (I'll probably have a 10/22, and a 1903 springfield in addition to my AR)
AIRBORNE
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Are there any more ranges outside of Columbus, Ohio to go shooting, aside from the Deleware location????

There's another DNR range south of Columbus at Deer Creek state park.  The exit is about 30 miles south of Columbus on I-70.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
CampyBob,
Yeah, come on down, I'm a member at Tusco as well,  (I live in New Phila) they are currently redoing the main range and have plans in the works for a 1000 yd range, I've ran into Waldo there a few times,heating up his m-44, The fireball from that is always a crowd pleaser!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Fallschirmjager,
I've shot at that range before,I used to live over that way,(Mt Gilead)and shot there alot,Damn shame considering our money (hunting license) paid for it in the first place,went there one time with a mini-14 I used to have,started pulling a few rounds off and the range-jerk comes running out of his little office and gives me a lecture on no rapid-fire, have to wait 3seconds between shots blah,blah,blah,that was the beginning of the end for me, have to pay $3.00 a day, or buy a pass (good for a year) to use a range, that WE paid for, I really think that the state would rather close it, I think they're worried about liabilty,and just looking for a good enough excuse, God help you if someone gets hurt out there because that'll be it.My suggestion would be to join a rifle club within a reasonable distance from you, then, at least YOU will have some say in how the range is run  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top