Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2001 8:09:11 PM EDT
I need to do some work on a friend's sks and need to take the barrel off.  It is a threaded barrel norinco gun.  I have taken the front sight, gas block, stock endcap, and rear sight base off.  I just need to know what thread direction the barrel is threaded into the reciever.  I have tried to take it off but it seems to be stuck, so am I turning it the correct way (right hand thread)?  Any tips for getting this thing off?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Check to make sure it isn't pinned as well as threaded.  Other than that, it's a good bet that the threads would run so as to tighten when the bullet acted against the rifling twist, whatever way that happens to be in that gun.  Check twice on the pinning thing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I checked, the barrel isn't pinned.  The rifling turns clockwise when viewed from the breach end so would the barrel be left hand thread?  If so, this would explain why it wasn't coming off.  Also, what kind of torque should be required to remove this thing?  I don't want to break anything (like the receiver) by cranking on it too hard.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT
Does this make sense for the thread direction?  I don't want to go torquing on it some more without gettting an answer one way or another.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn’t bet on a left hand thread because of the rifling.  One of my big complaints about Colt revolvers is their left hand rifling.  Their barrels have right hand threads and they constantly try to unscrew themselves when you shoot them.  (S&W barrels have a right hand twist and tighten themselves up.)

Military barrels are often cranked on extremely tight – sometimes you literally have to destroy the barrel to get it off without warping the receiver in the process.

You might want to post this on the Survivor’s SKS site at survivorsks.20m.com/.

Incidentally, Russian SKS’s have a right hand twist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top