Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2001 12:19:25 AM EDT
I already traded one of two AR's for a Kimber Custom Stainless, and I'm seriously thinking of trading my second one (preban) for one of these.  I'm especially intersted in reliability, accuracy, and the feel of the trigger...

Much thanks for any and all who reply.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been lusting after a M1A for some time now. But I hate the idea of selling or trading any gun to buy another. It's up to you, But if it were me, I'd cut corners any way I could and save, save, save.
My vote is to keep that pre-ban.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you're one of those guys who has a closet full of prebans, keep your pre and just save up to get that M1A. I love mine, the power, the recoil, the retro wood... but sometimes I just want to shoot the AR. Sometimes I just want to shoot .308! You need both, and while you're at it, get a 10/22! Sometimes you just want to go thru 500 rapid fire...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
*drool*  M1A.....want one baaaaaaaaad.....but wont trade my preban for one....hell wont trade anything for one.  Just do away with all those little extras you buy every payday like food and soap.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought my standard M1A new for $600 about 13 years ago, and wouldn't think of trading it for anything else. The only firearms I've gotten rid of lately have been a Russian SKS and an Auto Ordnance M1911A1 - neither of them particularly valuable to me. So add me to the group that says save, don't trade.

Also, it pains me greatly to say this, but unless you just HAVE to get an M1A I'd recommend going with a FAL instead. You'll spend about the same amount for a top-of-the-line DSA FAL, but USGI M14 mags are about 3 times as expensive as metric FAL mags. You'll end up spending about $450 for 15 USGI mags from Cole's (or is it Coleman's?) when you could have about 50 FAL mags for the same price. The FAL doesn't have the great sights of an M1A, and doesn't "feel" as solid, but I'd take one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought my "loaded" M1A on Sept. 10th, what timing, huh? I would keep your pre-ban, and save for the M1A. I love both rifles, and wouldn't want to sacrifice one for the other. If your gonna do it, do it soon, the offer for free scope and mount runs out at the end of the year, if I remember correctly. I still haven't got mine yet, the cust. service rep. said it takes "between 15 and 180 days" to process the order, plus the scopes are on backorder, too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't trade the pre-ban either,from a collecting standpoint,it will only gain in value, can't say the m-14 will,or not, maybe, keep your eyes open for slightly used one,I saw a unfired one at local shop about 2 yrs ago, on the used rack, in on consignment, $800.00 would have taken it,and 2 20rnd mags, I didn't have the money to spare,I cryed all the way home.Good point being made for the FAL, M-14 mags are like gold anymore,and getting hard to find at a reasonable price,maybe,give the FAL some thought.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
There are many highpoewr shooters making the leap from the M1A to the AR and for not much more or even less$$ than Sprinfield is asking you can get a fully tricked out match M1A.

Shoot some highpower matches (we need your new blood!) meet some new friends and keep your ears open, there are weapons on the move at the matches, you can get more than you thought you wanted.
TRW
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I was looking for an  M1a for many years. I finally bought one 5 months ago. It is a Springfield armory M21 and it is wonderful to shoot. I was advised to get the standard M1A instead of the loaded version. I heard from many of the experts that the loaded versions are "just an assemblage of national match parts flying in close formation". In other words, there is little care in making the national match parts work well together to make a precise rifle. The standard M1A is what I originally wanted because it is a lot lighter than my M21. I was also just wanting to keep the iron sights. I would get the standard issue M1A and shoot the crap out of it. Maybe later rebarrel it and do the accurizing work. I have heard that the standard issue M1a will do 2 MOA with iron sights. Also keep in mind that mounting a scope can be diffcult on these rifles. I bought the M21 because the offer was just too good to pass up.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Bigshooter,
I have a loaded M1A I might be willing to trade for a AR preban. Email me and maybe we can work something out. I have mags and lots of extras. Low round count:300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top