Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2001 6:08:34 PM EDT
Are the GB models any more accurate than a standard Mini, or do you get the same old set of problems? I've never owned a GB so I was wondering?
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the GB model?   I was unaware of any substantial differances in the mini model outside of sights and ejection...
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, only thing extra you get, is the FS, Bayo lug, and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
That's about what I figured.

Troy--

The A-team did blow up a shitload of jeeps with those same Minis
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Be leary of used Stainless CHP Mini-14GBs.  Most were so badly abused and it was so obvious that Ruger actually refused to replace them under warranty.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Last I heard GB folders were going for $600 and up. A buddy of mine has one but if you ask me they're not worth the extra money. There is some collector value though so to each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
A Mini-14 is the biggest piece of crap ever made by American gun makers.  The factory cost for barrels is $15 and it shows.  Factory spec for 100 yard accuracy is 5-6 inch groups (for comparison my pre-ban A-2 just shot a 5-shot 15/16th inch hundred yard group with South African Military ball).  Last American Rifleman Ruger ad had "suggested retail price as $725".  I mean that gun is the biggest POS ever made.  $725 for utter shit, that is highway robbery - all that money to get nothing.  I would only use it as a pry bar.  For $725 dollars you can get an excellent condition used AR (or a new Bushy at one of those DFW huge gun shows).  Ruger should not only be embarrased, but utterly
ASHAMED to produce such complete and utter garbage for the American shooter; ASHAMED!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:
Ruger should not only be embarrased, but utterly ASHAMED to produce such complete and utter garbage for the American shooter; ASHAMED!!!

Yeah got one of them, but its politically correct.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes true crap
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]

A Mini-14 is the biggest piece of crap ever made by American gun makers.  The factory cost for barrels is $15 and it shows.  Factory spec for 100 yard accuracy is 5-6 inch groups (for comparison my pre-ban A-2 just shot a 5-shot 15/16th inch hundred yard group with South African Military ball).  Last American Rifleman Ruger ad had "suggested retail price as $725".  I mean that gun is the biggest POS ever made.  $725 for utter shit, that is highway robbery - all that money to get nothing.  I would only use it as a pry bar.  For $725 dollars you can get an excellent condition used AR (or a new Bushy at one of those DFW huge gun shows).  Ruger should not only be embarrased, but utterly
ASHAMED to produce such complete and utter garbage for the American shooter; ASHAMED!!!

So how do you really feel about the Ruger?

At least they're still legal here in California
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah, ok. That's very scientific to compare the WORST acceptable accuracy of one gun and the accuracy of another. Also, when was the last time you checked the RETAIL value of a bushy? Don't compare the factory retail price of one gun to the possible used price of another. I wouldn't have paid full reatail for my mini or my bushy. You are spouting pure BS.

BTW, I get one inch groups (average) out of my mini using the exact same ammo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Sitting Bull

Thanks so much for your informative post.

I think most people here are aware of the Mini-14's accuracy problems. However the rifle does have one strong point, with quality magazines it is almost totally reliable. I have shot Mini-14s in deplorable conditions and they still fired. Also, unlike the AR-15, stoppages in a Mini are fairly easy to clear(you don't have to disassemble a Mini-14 to clear it).

Sure the AR is a superior rifle but the Mini is a good gun for kicking around and banging up. They can be had around here for $350-$400 used if you look around. I seriously doubt you've used too many Mini-14s. Instead of slamming the rifle why not try to answer my original question?  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been hearing a lot that with the factory synthetic stock rather than the wood one, a Mini-14 will get a lot better groups, about 2" or less, because it fits a lot better. For anyone who's handled them, is there any truth to this, or is this just a random thing?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've been hearing a lot that with the factory synthetic stock rather than the wood one, a Mini-14 will get a lot better groups, about 2" or less, because it fits a lot better. For anyone who's handled them, is there any truth to this, or is this just a random thing?

Yup. Mine is the newer model all weather ranch with the synth. stock. Doesn't shoot as good as my bushy, but it shoots better than any one wants to admit. I average one moa with good surplus ammo and about 3/4 moa with reloads(if I do my part). I got it for $440 and it was definitely worth it. It's light, reliable, durable, accurate, and doesn't get scratched up as easy as an ar if you bring it in the woods a lot. Last year, I did a perfect CNS shot on a doe standing behind an evergreen at 75 yards. The mini with a synthetic stock is the ultimate beater rifle. To me, it's a nice alternative to an ak. My le buddies just got a synth. stocked mini and they are getting similar results. Their GB was getting about 2 moa, not bad for a "piece of shiat".
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I haven't acheived 1 inch groups, but I can break clays with it @ 100 yards off bench, and its pretty fun for that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

1" groups average with SA ball out of a Mini-14? Really?

At what range? 25'?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
BTW, what does GB stand for?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
"Ruger's Mini 14 BeeGee discorifle."

Or something like that.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top