Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2001 7:21:07 PM EDT
Okay, I dunno if this has been asked before, but I can't find anything on it. Maybe I jut lack Search Skills or something.

But here goes. Can you fire rifled slugs from a smoothbore barrel? I know they make the special rifled slug barrels and all, but i've hard that you can fire these through a smooth one, albeit with reduced accuracy.

Is this true?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I fire 'em all the time out of my Winchester. True, accuracy is reduced, but you could still hit somebody in the torso, at 50-75 yds. if you practiced enough. You can get slugs, that are already rifled, negating the need for a rifled barrel. I prefer the Federal 3" 1 1/4 ounce rifled slugs, they spit a flame about a foot long out of my 18" barrel!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can fire a rifled slug out of a smooth bored barrel.  This is what they were made for, to make smooth bore barrels more accurate.  Sabots are made for rifled barrels, and the cost up to 3 times as much as slugs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Another cool slug is the mini-slug,

1/2 size cartridge.  Have to be in a pump though.  I load my 870 with the mini-slug as the first round followed by buckshot.  The mini has way less kick & is quite accurate in a smooth barrel out to 25 yds (haven't tried if farther).  I only use it in the first shot because since it's so small they somethimes bunch up in the receiver trying to chamber follow up rounds.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are using them for personal protection, don't overlook the 1 ounce, reduced velocity (recoil) slugs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top