Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2001 6:40:35 PM EDT
ok, if i wanted to buy a gun from a friend of mine, could i just buy it with out any legal process? i know its a straw purchase of someone buys a gun for someone else, but what if a friend of mine spotted something i was looking for at a show, bought it, and sold it to me? it seems like the same thing as a straw purchase, is this just sort of a gray area. BTW, as im sure this matters, i live in the IOWA. thanks in advanced
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not know Iowa law, but I'd suggest that you both go to the range, have him fire it, mention he does not like it and offer it to you.
imho
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
lol, good thinking, maybe i should get BATF present for that.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Matt -- On long guns, as a private sale (non dealer) there is no need for paperwork.--- It's a good idea to get the buyers name & age (must be old enough to purchase) just in case the BATF ever shows up trying to track down one of your ex-guns. ------- By Iowa law a person buying a handgun thru a private sale (non dealer) still needs a valid permit to purchase and the seller is to record the permit number to protect his own ass, but that is all, no other paperwork. --- I would think for a straw purchase you would both need to be present with the dealer at the time of purchase. --- IE: If I tell you I would like a nice Garand for $500 and you just happen to buy one at the next gun show, if you would sell it to me for any reason, (and I can legally own one) it would be very hard to prove that you bought it for me to begin with.--ALLONS11
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
good answer allons, to go OT, where abouts in iowa you from?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Matt -- Cedar Rapids, Area
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]
that figures, most that come through here are from that neck of the woods. im lonley up here in NW iowa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top