Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 7:51:06 AM EDT
OK I know this subject has been beat to death but A buddy of mine wants to unload a REM 700 223 tactical and a Bushy 16"Hbar post. He is willing to offer each of them at the same price and both are in like new condition. My dilemma is that which should I buy. At the moment I have a 16 Hbar and a 24in bull barrel AR. Other than a nef 308 on the way I have no other rifles. I will buy one but can only afford one of them. Which would you get?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's a 700PSS, then buy it. I have a 26 inch PSS in .308, and it's a great rifle. They are getting hard to find, especially if they are cheap. I found a steal that was nib. The .308 would be worth more than the .223, but why not? You can find a post Bushy anywhere. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a plentiful supply of REM 700 PSS at the Dallas gun shows... I always see them in stacks at three different vendors, selling from $650 to $750, NIB.

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy one and give me the contact info so I can buy the other.  What is he asking for them?

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy the AR 15. You can always get a very accurate Bolt Action Rifle. Either a Factory job like a Remington or a Custom Built job later on.

Lots of smiths can build you a good rifle based on an Remington Action that will shoot rings around Remingtons Factory rifles.

Best Actions are Hall Actions. They are stiffer and machined to finer tolerances than a Remington.

Lija makes superb barrels.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want a REAL long range rifle, the rem should be in .308. .223 is a good caliber, but a lot of its benefits are lessened when it comes in the same package as a .308. I would get the Bushy (usually worth more) and hang on to it as they may be harder to find in the future. Varmint rifles will always be around, but AR's vary.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Since you have 2 AR's already, I'd go with the Remmington.  I't be a good way to practice shooting a bold action with the less expensive .223 ammo.  Then again, if it were me, I'd be the ass spending money I didn't have to get both
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
You could get the Remington 700 now, since you've got the AR's, and rebarrel it later with a take-off bbl. to .308, being that it's a short action...and the NEF .308 is on the way.
Just a thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top