Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 6:21:00 PM EDT
Wholesale G&A has these for 395.  Would this be a good accurite rifle?  What sort of groups could you get out of it, with both surplus and good ammo?
Are they any faults in the design of this gun or assembly. (by CIA)

Would a FAL be better?  

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I could get fair groups, 12" above the target.  I have access to 3 of these, all three are the same.  My uncle has one like the one pictured above, and his shoots about 12" to the left in addition to shooting high.  It shoots OK, but your not reloading any of the brass that this things throws out, if you can even find it.  It throws the brass every bit of 40 feet.  The muzzle brake sucks and it is a loud SOB.  The only good thing I can say about it is the mags were cheap, $5 apiece at Tapco.  The gun will shoot every time.  I would say you could reliably hit a car with it, but good luck trying to hit a man size target.  Mine is getting a one way ticket to the next gun show.  Hopefully I can get my $450 back, which will be my deposit on an AR-10.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Zip, that Cetme is a hit or miss proposition. If it's got a Hesse receiver on it, it may give you problems...then again it might not. I have a CETME..er...had one. It was problems from the start. To much WESCOG involved for me. I'd rather spend my hard earned cash on something that's going to shoot out of the box and not require 10 hours hunched over a dremel tool if'n ya know what I mean. Then again, I've got friends who bought this puppy and had a great gun. More often than not though, buying a CETME these days is a crapshoot. You can buy G3 kits and stuff, buy a reciever and go that route if you must have a H&K varient, but I know for a fact, if you save a few bucks and buy a well made FN, you'll be skipping around with a big ol' grin on your face.

Good makers of FN's are DSA, Entreprise, and a few others you can find on l1a1.com. Theres a guy, actually a couple of guys in Arizona that are great makers and builders of FN's.

Sooo, a readers digest version of my answer to you and this is entirely just my opinion since I've been there,...save your money, buy a real H&K or since you showed interest, an FN-FAL.

Good Luck to ya
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Cetme that I purchased back in April and love this gun. My sights were off and it was shooting 4 inches to the left with the windage maxed out, I sent it back to Century and it came back shooting dead on. Many people think that you can't adjust for windage or elevation, but it is all done on the front sight post. Do a search on www. hk91.co and you will find a load of info on the Cetme. So far my rifles performace has been flawless since the front sight repair. Do yourself a favor and buy one now before it is too late!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess I got lucky and got a good one early this year. Its a joy to shoot, not hardly any recoil and 5in groups at 100yds offhand with mixed bag surplus. I have been reading about lots of sights being off but not many other problems,on some of the other boards. Personal pref thing though,next I want a fal type . Kinda funny sidenote my wife accepted it a little more than some of the others because of the wood looks good
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a good one, I really like it.  The only thing is it doesn't like old surplus ammo, only new factory rounds.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought my CETME in Oct and fired 200 rounds with no problems yet.  I could hit bowling pins at will at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
How about comparing this to the FAL's that you can get for $400 (century also I think).

Which system is inherently more accurate?
How would you mount a scope to either?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Century FAL(it was even on a Hesse receiver) the think was very accurate.  I did have to replace the gas piston though.  (Gave me one more US part anyway).  Well I ended up selling the thing.  

I know this.  If you get a lemon send it to Arizona Expert Arms.  I here Derek has a Century Arms Rebuild that works miracles.  It's under $300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top