Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2001 7:19:10 PM EDT
www.usnewswire.com/topnews/Current_Releases/1102-101.html

The state of Illinois wants to ban magazines that have gun ads in them. Last time I checked, gun ads were in:

Shotgun News
Guns & Ammo.
American Handgunner
First Freedom (NRA)
American Rifleman (NRA)

I guess the NRA will be in a heap of shit because their magazines won't be able to be shipped to members in Illinois. The sponsors state that these magazines are a choice venue for criminals buying guns. Huh ?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
This sounds like a 1st amendment problem here ??
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If I end up having to drive to Wisconsin to buy a magazine, I'll be pissed. Maybe bringing the offending mags into IL, from out of state, will be a crime, also. If I end up doing jail time, I hope you guys will write me.
Just when you think it's safe to take a deep breath, new, even more whacko laws are being proposed.

I think I'm trapped in the dreaded "bizzaro world".
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If I end up having to drive to Wisconsin to buy a magazine, I'll be pissed. Maybe bringing the offending mags into IL, from out of state, will be a crime, also. If I end up doing jail time, I hope you guys will write me.
Just when you think it's safe to take a deep breath, new, even more whacko laws are being proposed.

This is so blatelty anti-first amendment that I cant beleve that you are worried about it.

This is so against the spirit of the moment I doubt that it will even make it through you legislature- even though I know that Illinois is a Machine state and not a real democratic-republic as required by the 14th Amendment. Just look at this: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=66788
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a lot of gun manufacturers in Illinois! Armalite, Springfield, DSA,....etc. Can they still ship catalogs after this law?

Everybody movin to Arizona...we gonna get em to follow us into the desert an den we gonna make us a tar baby cuz dey ben gettin much too sassy an much too bossy!
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is so blatelty anti-first amendment that I cant beleve that you are worried about it.

This is so against the spirit of the moment I doubt that it will even make it through you legislature- even though I know that Illinois is a Machine state and not a real democratic-republic as required by the 14th Amendment. Just look at this: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=66788

Not to worry, ArmdLbrl, most of what I wrote was tongue in cheek. But I've lived my whole life in the Chicago suburbs, and I get to the point where absurdity begins to make me giddy.  As it turns out, I started a thread with a link to that same Fox story, and then deleted it a minute later, when I saw someone had beat me to it.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#6]
You realize, of course, the ACLU is going to come to our defense.  Talk about your mixed emotions....

shooter
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have heard England already bans newstand sales of gun magazines.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unless I didn't read the article correctly, it is a particular gun control group in Illinois, the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, that wants a ban of pro-gun magazines.

Where does is say, the state of Illinois itself, wants the ban?

I saw this on NBC news. They were talking about how "easy" it is.  
c-rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top