Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2001 1:22:55 PM EDT
OK, I read on here somewhere last night that the colt MT6601 had a chrome lined barrel and I would like to know from someone who has one if It does. I have a MT6700 now and it doesnt. Im getting ready to buy an AR with a fixed carry handle and want a chrome bore this time. Which is it?

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
OK, I read on here somewhere last night that the colt MT6601 had a chrome lined barrel and I would like to know from someone who has one if It does. I have a MT6700 now and it doesnt. Im getting ready to buy an AR with a fixed carry handle and want a chrome bore this time. Which is it?

BKVic

I've got an MT6551 (20" A2 standard profile barrel), and it does not have a chrome lined barrel.  On that note, the barrels that are used for all of their post-ban Chrome Moly rifles are all the same (with exception of length, of course)...so NO post-ban chrome-moly Colt has a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The twist rate is different also. My 6700 is 1/9 while the 6601 is 1/7. I thought that none of them were lined but I read that post last night and had a glimmer of hope.I really like Colt and I like my 6700 but it is a pain in the ass to clean the barrel. It seems like I just cant get all the copper out and befor anyone asks, no Im not using a brush. My patches just keep coming out green and even though it doesnt seem to affect the accurcy it just annoys me.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]
That is the Solvent dissolving the copper, its suppossed to be green. When you do burn tests to "Type" a substance copper always produces a  green flame.

Benjamin

Edited to form a more concise sentence.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Colt 6601 as well.  It looks like it is a chrome barrel.  I have no problems cleaning.  I use a brass rod with a soft brass brush and lots of solvent.  The first couple of patches come out black but quickly lighten up.  I stop when the patches come out the muzzle white.  The chamber is cleaned with a chamber brush on the end of a cordless drill.  Again it is a shoft brass brush.  The bore is now spotless and has the same chrome look as my GI barrel on my M1A.  The barrel does not have any markings on it saying its a chrome barrel.  It has the standard colt markings, but nothing indicating a chrome barrel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#5]
BKVic,

Also if you have been shooting wolf ammunition I guess that would also turn your cloth green as the coating on the brass(STEAL) is probably comming off?????

Benjamin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top