Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2001 6:48:24 PM EDT
Hi guys,
I need the dope on preban Colt receivers.  Specifically, slab sided receivers versus those with the reinforcement fencing around the mag releases.  Is there anything one should be concerned about regarding the slab sided ones?  What about relative value or collectabiliity, any differences there?  

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a slab-sided Colt configured as an A2 Tactical Carbine (with the larger M4 grip).

I also have a "fenced" A3 Tactical Carbine.

They both shoot great and have incredible quality (fit and finish) compared to other ARs that I've seen.

It is my understanding that the fencing was added to minimize the possibility of snagging the mag release on brush. I've heard from other slab-side Colt owners that they have never experienced this, and unless you were slithering around in a Southeast Asian jungle I wouldn't be too concerned.

As far as strength is concerned, I periodically carry an M-16 that is an A1 configuration and it is slab-sided with many thousands of rounds through it. So, I'm personally not aware of a durability issue.

Hopefully, folks on the board with more knowledge than me on the subject can correct any errors or omissions I've made and can elaborate...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top