Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 8:50:55 PM EDT
in another post we determined that bshmaster was probably worth the extra $150 over the Rock River for the chrome bore

is the Colt worth the extra 100-150 over the Bushmaster?

Is ther any difference in QUALITY (not features like suppressors and bayo lugs) between pre and post ban Colts??
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
With Colt, you're pretty much paying for the name.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster-small pins
Colt-large pins
Colt factory replacement kit for large pin fire control system.  One source-Colt.  Big bucks.
Bushmaster any milspec fire control system. economical.
Colt too me is good to have just for the name. However; I feel that the current batch of post ban rifles just getting a bit cheesey.  Like a plastic trapdoor for the buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bushmaster-small pins
Colt-large pins

don't forget that bushmaster pins push out, while the colt's screw out.  major pain in the ass to have to screw them out!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bushmaster-small pins
Colt-large pins

don't forget that bushmaster pins push out, while the colt's screw out.  major pain in the ass to have to screw them out!

I hear people bitch about it, but when do you ever have to touch the front pin in the field?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bushmaster-small pins
Colt-large pins

I hear people bitch about it, but when do you ever have to touch the front pin in the field?

It is much easier to clean when you can seperate the upper from the lower.  It is just two more parts that can be lost.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
No. You are paying for the name when buying Colt. Plus, Colts are sporadic in their availability these days. How long are you willing to wait to get one if the specific model you want is in short supply?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
like my colt car 6724. shoots very well. pay for what you get and that is accuracy!

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
As far as the front pivot pin goes I think that they are push pins for a reason. Not to mention that Colt is using non mil-spec fire control pins. They just keep coming up with way to screw you out of more money. I will keep supporting Bushmaster and the like for building in their guns to mil-spec.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Hello Everyone from an unrepentant Colt fan,

Colt is bashed for having the infamous large pin sets. But with Colt it seems that there isn't really any hard and fast rules. I have two Colt prebans that have the small front push pins, factory drilled with the side drain holes no less. These rifles do have large FC pins, but this is hardly a major deficit because there is more than one source for FC parts that fit the large pins. Bushmaster even listed FC parts that fit the large pins. So does DPMS. Accuracy Speaks and JP Enterprises make competition FC parts for the large pins. It seems evident to me that there is certainly more that one source for these parts. I have another preban that has both the large front pivot pin and FC pins, but I'm more than pleased with its fit and finish and I'd never sell it. All of my Colt rifles have been entirely trouble free.
Now after giving Colt a ringing endorsement (or at least the preban ones; which is the extent of my limited experience), I have nothing but good to say about Bushmaster and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their firearms (except maybe that bullpup rifle they sell). I've bought most of my replacement parts from Bushmaster and their customer service has been first rate. I do plan to acquire a Bushmaster preban lower soon to add to my collection, and I expect to be very happy with it. I also believe that Armalite makes a first class product.
Take care all, Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi,
If one can criticize Colt for having a plastic buttstock access door, I seem to recall a few postings awhile back that complained about Bushmaster using a plastic trigger guard assembly. Are either one of these criticisms really that important? I'd say probably not. In regard to post ban Colts, it is my understanding that most, if not all, are now sized for the small front pivot pin. From what I've read on this board, a large number are factory drilled for the pivot detent and spring. So while it might be a minor pain to remove the screw and install the push pin type, at least it can be done. I don't like or see the need for the receiver block that Colt puts in their rifles, but it certainly doesn't prevent the use of any other semi-automatic bolt carrier, it just disallows the use of the M-16 type carrier. I'm definitely not a Colt expert, much less an expert on AR type rifles in general, but if I were looking to buy an AR, Bushmaster is a good place to start. If I specifically wanted a Colt, then I'd buy the Colt with confidence that I was getting a good product. The major factor I see in Bushmaster's favor is that the company has been a strong supporter of the civilian marketplace.
Take care, Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Today a new Colt and a new Bushnaster are 90% the same.

They use all the same parts from all the same subcontractors,and anyother parts are all made to spec.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I just like bushy more than the colt (just my opinion). More options on the bushy. As far as accuracy, my stock bushy 20in with std. handguards will shoot constant 1/2 with decent ammo. In short, bushy is just as good, or better?, for less money. For me, the cost of my bushy and the fact that it has A1 sights is what sold me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I feel that the current batch of post ban rifles just getting a bit cheesey.  Like a plastic trapdoor for the buttstock.

Hey I like the trap door!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Just out of curiousity, how many Colt bashers have been in the military/LE? How many BM praisers are civilian?

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My experience covers pre-ban Colts, post-ban Bushmasters and the Rock River Arms LEGP.

All three are finely made weapons.  Quality, in my experiences, has been good on all three with the edge in asthetics and detail/finishing going to Rock River followed by Bushmaster then Colt.  You should be realistic though and acknowledge that you can get shit from anyone these days.

Colt carries the reputation and history.  Mercedes Benz though, for example, hardly denotes the only name relating to fine automobiles.  Sometimes you pay more for the moniker.  I strongly feel this to be the case in ARs as well.

My Bushmaster, an A3 fluted Dissipator, is at least the equal of and probably better than your average run of the mill Colt in detail, reliability and finish/asthetics.  With identical ammunition and being topped with a Trijicon ACOG Ref. II my Dissipator will outshoot the 20" Colt with 3-9x40 Delta Scope any day of the week at any range  The mil-spec thing is a big deal to me as well.

Rock River's LEGP though, is without a doubt, the finest made AR I have ever encountered, at least from a service grade standpoint.  Finish, fit, attention to detail and reliability are of the highest quality.

Personally, I don't think you would go wrong with any of the three.

Next time I buy an AR though I will look first to Rock River then to Bushmaster.

Sorry Colt..................who needs ya?

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt,Colt,Colt,Colt. I think I said it all!

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Snakes are cooler than ponies
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I've handled a few Colts and Bushmasters of both pre and post-ban production, and I own a pre-ban Colt.  My next AR will be a Bushmaster unless I get a great deal on a pre-ban.  As far as differences in quality between pre and post ban colts, pre-ban Colts seem to be of greater quality.

Here are my gripes with Colt:
They don't give a damn about the civilian market.  Go to their web page, and any AR listed is listed under "Law Enforcement."

That SEAR block is a huge pain in the ass if you want to install a different trigger, and is the result of them trying to be PC.  I don't want a PC gun, especially when the steps they are taking are not required.

They vary most from mil-spec.  While there is no mil-spec for non-select fire AR's, I want my rifle as close to mil-spec as possible.  That means no odd sized trigger parts or pins.

Quality of their post-ban rifles seems to be touch and go.  Some are quality and well built while others are not.  Their LEO only models seem to be much better in the fit and finish and consistant quality.  I cannot think of a valid reason for this, but it has been my experience.

I don't have any of these gripes with Bushmaster.  I can get a post-ban Bushmaster and it has no SEAR block.  So, I can put in a custom trigger with none of the hassles of a Colt.  I can also put in a registered DIAS and full auto fire control parts to have a Class 3 weapon, which is completely legal.  Every bushmaster I've ever laid eyes on has had good fit and finish.  Every one I've ever fired has been rock solid, and their quality control seems to be more consistant.  They also cater to the civilian market and recognize it's importance to their business.  They have had quality problems in the past, and people gripe about the "purple" finish problem they had for a while, but when it comes down to it, a post-ban bushmaster is more desirable than a post-ban colt.  Dealing with pre-bans, all bets are off.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Have two Colt barrelled uppers for my pre-ban Bushmaster 20" 1/7 HBAR and 1/7 A2.

My pre-ban Colt have has the small front push pin, factory drilled with the side drain hole.  All I had to do is install $5 worth of parts and it's standard push-pin.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a pre-ban Colt SP1 and a postban Bushmaster, I'll never sell either of them but any new AR-15 purchases will be most likely be Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Basically, if you have the extra cash and want the name, go Colt.  If not you won't be dissapointed with the Bushmaster
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#23]
ArmaLite AR10
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Half a dozen of one, six of another.  IMHO they're just about the same; fine guns all.(and yes I own both in pre & post)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top