Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2001 2:56:58 PM EDT
Ok, on a 20" AR, how is accuracy affected by....brakes, suppressors, compensators etc. etc.
would a plain muzzle be better ?
Your thoughts please
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
  I don't know either, and I'm looking forward to the replies.   And maybe someone can explain why muzzle brakes are not allowed in CMP competition.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll add to this...Do muzzlebreaks have to be pinned permanently on a postban and how much damage is done to the muzzle doing this?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'll add to this...Do muzzlebreaks have to be pinned permanently on a postban and how much damage is done to the muzzle doing this?

If the barrel is threaded, then yes, they do have to be permanently attached to a postban.  They can be blind pinned, or welded, or hitemp soldered, or?

If the brake is a pin on or a set screw type, then no... since the barrel is not threaded to accept this.

Damage?  Shouldn't be ANY damage... unless some yahoo drunk smith does it...  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO, and I believe that I've read this somewhere, A brake or suppresser of any kind will affect accuracy to a certain degree. This is because the gasses a not directed evenly.

If you are shooting a competition which requires minute accuracy then use a plain muzzle. If you are shooting a high speed comp then by all means use a muzzlebrake for a faster follow-up.

Sig, aren't CMP competitions for military appearance firearms? You can alter any internal part as long as it doesn't affect the overall appearance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, some compensators are designed to help accuracy.  I have a Volquartzen barrel on my 10/22 that has a special compensator on it to disperse the gases in a way that they do not have a random affect on the bullet.  Of course, this is not a recoil compensator... it is simply to assists the gases in combination with a target crown.

Quoted:
IMO, and I believe that I've read this somewhere, A brake or suppresser of any kind will affect accuracy to a certain degree. This is because the gasses a not directed evenly.

If you are shooting a competition which requires minute accuracy then use a plain muzzle. If you are shooting a high speed comp then by all means use a muzzlebrake for a faster follow-up.

Sig, aren't CMP competitions for military appearance firearms? You can alter any internal part as long as it doesn't affect the overall appearance.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top