Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2001 7:06:49 PM EDT
I just picked one up for about 50 bux used. Great little .22 plinker.

Who knows where I can get a folding stock for this thing????
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Warning, it is one of the most difficult weapons I ever had to put back together. The main spring just wants to hang up.

I have never seen a folding stock for one. Maybe a bullpup stock instead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Warning, it is one of the most difficult weapons I ever had to put back together. The main spring just wants to hang up.

I have never seen a folding stock for one. Maybe a bullpup stock instead.

It's not bad when you get used to it.  It was my first rifle 25 years ago and I still love it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
And the barrel is not threaded in, its splined and pressed in, just in case you are thinking about removing it. Many years ago(like an idiot), I cut the buttstock off, using that wood to fashion two pistol grips, front and rear. With finger grooves and all, it looked cool. Legal?, dont know, cool? yup. A looooong time ago.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
My model 60 was my first firearm... still have it, but I don't shoot it much.

I haven't ever seen a folding stock for one... I don't think, but then, I might have... Butler Creek might have had one.

Good little plinking rifle.  I found it's not too hard to take apart to clean, no more difficult than a 10/22.

M@
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive had one now for about 20 years that my dad bought me for my first rifle and I still shoot the thing, I love it! Mine has the 18 round tube mag so does that make it a pre-ban and worth 10 times as much as the current 14 rounders!

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I gotta agree with SS109, very hard to put back together.  I disagree that it is just as easy as a 10/22.  NO WAY!  Pull the block out of that Mod 60 and take it apart, then try to get it back together-good luck!  I bought a mod 60 first because I wanted to save a few bucks, they were about 15.00 cheaper than a 10/22.  Stupid!  Jammed up every time it got cold.  Not bad accuracy, but no where near the 10/22's.  Best decision I ever made was trading that off and buying a 10/22.  I waited way too long!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
My 60 has never started jaming up when its cold and was more accurite then about 5 of my buddies 10/22's until they started puting bull barrals on them and putting some serious money into them.

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I gotta agree with SS109, very hard to put back together.  I disagree that it is just as easy as a 10/22.  NO WAY!  Pull the block out of that Mod 60 and take it apart, then try to get it back together-good luck!  

I don't see how it's so difficult... I mean, it IS difficult if you completely take apart the action.  I did that once, and managed to get it back together just fine.  But for cleaning purposes, it's almost just like the 10/22.  Take the action/bbl out of the stock, push the pins out, remove the hammer/fire control part, then remove the bolt and mainspring.  No need to further dissasemble for cleaning!

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
My Model 60 was my first rifle also.  I remember it jamming on a regular basis when I was a kid but I shoot the hell out of it now and very rarely have one jam in a shooting session of between 50 and 300 rounds.  I don't think it is difficult to put back together.  Just put the mainspring guide in the slot, align it up with the bolt, push the bolt back so the guide goes into the bolt and push the whole thing down into the receiver not forgetting to place in the charging handle.(Although I have been doing it myself since about 12)  I love my model 60, I just reshaped and finished the stock and did a trigger job that cut the weight in half with no creep.  Also free-floated the barrel, have not tested it for accuracy difference, don't think it will do much, just to say that I did it.  All I know is that I can still pop small balloons @ 100 with ease.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I gotta agree with SS109, very hard to put back together.  I disagree that it is just as easy as a 10/22.  NO WAY!  Pull the block out of that Mod 60 and take it apart, then try to get it back together-good luck!  I bought a mod 60 first because I wanted to save a few bucks, they were about 15.00 cheaper than a 10/22.  Stupid!  Jammed up every time it got cold.  Not bad accuracy, but no where near the 10/22's.  Best decision I ever made was trading that off and buying a 10/22.  I waited way too long!

at Wal-Mart (dont even say it)
model 60 = $97.08
10/22 basic = $139.98...
Id save the extra forty and get the 10/22 and way back when I wouldnt have saved the 15 either
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#11]
If I'm not mistaken, Ramline made a folder for the 60 a few years ago.

Re. cleaning-just use Gunscrubber or another spray to get rid of the fouling in the trigger group, along with some Q-tips, instead of full disassembly...should spare you some minor headaches.   squib
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had my Model 60 for about 25 years as well.  It was my first rifle (actually, my first firearm).  I have NEVER had it jam, nor any problem whatsoever.  I still take it out to shoot whenever I can.  Cleaning is easy; the action doesn't need to come completely apart, but is easy to get out as a unit and put back in.  Look at the stocks on yours... does anyone have the squirrel imprinted on the grip?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

at Wal-Mart (dont even say it)
model 60 = $97.08
10/22 basic = $139.98...
Id save the extra forty and get the 10/22 and way back when I wouldnt have saved the 15 either

Well, at least I got it right eventually.  Didn't have a Wal-Mart near to even look at.  I think the original prices for the rifles when I made my bad decision were something like $80 and $100 or 95?  I can't remember for sure, all I know is that I thought I would be happy with the 60 and was going to save a little money.  Nope.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I always take my 60 with me when we go and shoot our AR's. I set out the clay targets that the clay shooters use and can tear them up with the 60 at 100 yards with no scope. In fact Im more accurate with my 60 then the AR when using the iron sites on the AR.

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know why some of you think it is difficult to put back together.  I've taken M60s apart countless times and never had a problem.  It may be difficult if you are used to putting AR15s back together, I suppose.

NOBBY:  Were you lucky and got an older 60 that holds 18 instead of the nuetered 14 rounders?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't know why some of you think it is difficult to put back together.  I've taken M60s apart countless times and never had a problem.  It may be difficult if you are used to putting AR15s back together, I suppose.

I'm not talking about just taking the action and barrel out of the stock.  I'm talking about taking the bolt/block out of the action and then disassembling it.  If I remember right it had some kind of side plates that held it all together.  If they come off and it comes apart--ohhh the fun!  I only did this once and I made sure it never happened again.  This is much more difficult than the bolt/block of the 10/22.  Don't believe me, take yours apart once, if you dare?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#17]

NOBBY:  Were you lucky and got an older 60 that holds 18 instead of the nuetered 14 rounders?

Nope, mine is nuetered. But I can load 15rds with the bolt open if I really, really wanted to.

So guys...still no info on the folding stock?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Galati sells a folding stock.

My uncle's got one. It's dead reliable and resonably accurate considering he hasn't cleaned it in about 10 years. He's had it since the late 60's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a model 60 right after my 18th birthday as my first gun. I owned it for about 3 years before i shot it. In the next 2 years I put almost 10,000 rounds down range using it. At least half of these rounds were at 100 yards and over. It is accurate and reliable.

I finally traded it in on a 10/22. have not put nearly the round through it though.

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had the M60 as my first rifle for about 15+ yrs. My friend talked me into buying the M60 over the 10/22, he has both and his 10/22 must be the "one in a thousand" that really sux.

Im glad I bought the M60, even my wife loves shooting it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#22]

I'm not talking about just taking the action and barrel out of the stock. I'm talking about taking the bolt/block out of the action and then disassembling it. If I remember right it had some kind of side plates that held it all together. If they come off and it comes apart--ohhh the fun!

Good lord, man!!  I have many apologies to anyone that goes through that experience.  Yes...I know of the "plates".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top