Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2001 6:41:47 PM EDT
walther P99  9mm or 40. and why
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my SW99 in .40 and have no regrets.  I generally believe bigger is better, but it's really more about what you're comfortable with.  9mm ammo will be cheaper.  .40S&W delivers more kinetic energy.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
i fired both before buying my .40. i went with the .40 becuase i personally feel a 9mm just isn't up to the job for self defense.

For plinking the 9mm was cheaper to shoot and also i'd give it a slight edge in the accuracy dept. probobly due to less recoil.

Either is a good choice but for self defense the .40 would be a MUCH better choice. Like a buddy of my says " a 9mm is a 45 set on stun."

mike
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
ALWAYS GO WITH THE BIGGEST CALIBER IN SELF DEFENSE SITUATIONS.

I personally prefer .45acp for it's sheer knock-down force...so if for some reason I hit them in the arm/leg (not intentionally, for sure) they will "feel it."

Therefore, go with the .40...it's a good round.  9mm is better than nothing, but I wouldn't choose it as a primary defense caliber.

As Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch has said, "When it comes to busting caps to save your life, you'll be thinking 'Why the hell don't they make a bigger gun?!?!?!'."
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on what your going to do with it. Is it your only gun? Used for carry or just fun? The 9 is cheaper to shoot the 40 suposably is a better man stopper (I am yet to be convinced) yet with the 9 the the right ammo like corbon 115's it's no slouch in the defence department. I am a beliver in practice and shot placement not caliber. If you could get hicaps that would be a plus for the nine. I purchased A p99 40 and had it for a couple months it was interesting but I took it back and traded it for another Glock.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I'm the only one who got the 9MM verison.  Two reasons I got it.  The first thing was that the .40 was not available.  The second reason got it after I found out that the P99 mags can take the P88 compact mag with a slight sticking out of the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 2:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]
9mm - Cheaper ammo so you can shoot more. 16 round mags. Most people shoot more accurately with a 9mm. If you want more knock down power you load with +P+ Hydrashoks or +P+ Rangers.

The .40 is fine too if you can afford the ammo.
12 round mags. It just seems that the guys with the .40 pistols don't shoot them as much. I have one and I don't shoot it at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top