Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2001 1:52:44 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a product for painting wooden rifle stocks.  Ideally, it should be durable,flat black,resillient to cleaning products, and hopefully have some sort of texture to it.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you are talking about spray on truck bed liner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
This is something I have messed with for sometime and I think I have it down.

First go to Wal-mart,K-mart,Home depot or Ace(the only ones I know of that have this)and buy a can of this stuff called"Kilz" it's a type of primer that is better that any thing on F*ing earth!
I have unsed it on old SKS stocks and you know how much oil and crap yopu get out of them.

Then get some "Rust-oleum Texured" indoor/outdoor it's very tuff and I can only get it off of with Goff-off (goff-off will take paint off a damn car!)

The Rust-oleum comes in gloss/flat black,OD,red.blue and gray,and I even did my wife's .410's barrle with it and that was over a year ago(her gun gets the crap beat out of it all the time)

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds like you are talking about spray on truck bed liner.

Did that,it's works ok but you still need to use the Kilz first.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Hammerite.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used black leather dye (Lincoln Brand) works like wood stain and won't come off. You can then put some kind of sealer on top of that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I finally painted my stocks, and it came out really nice.  I thought I'd give you guys an update.  First, I sanded then real lighty with 320 grit paper to rough up the surface.  I used KILZ primer to prep the surface (thanks for the advice a2carbine).  Two coats.  I finished off with 3 coats of DUPLI-COLOR truck bed coating.  The stuff works great.  Nice texture and a real hard finish.  I'd post pics, but i don't know how.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top