Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2011 3:49:41 PM EDT
I am in the market for one. It looks like marlin has discontinued the 981T. Is that correct? It is not showing on their website anymore and my dealer can not find one in stock. Any other similar rifles out there?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
new production I can't help there...but there are a TON of old guns that were tube fed and bolt action that can be found for a pittance.  My last one I picked up was $90 and shoots just about as good as my Kimber 82's
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am in the market for one. It looks like marlin has discontinued the 981T. Is that correct? It is not showing on their website anymore and my dealer can not find one in stock. Any other similar rifles out there?

Thanks

the 981T was built until last year, it has been replaced by the XT-22TR. Essentially same rifle but with a new stock and a Marlin version of the Accu-trigger

as to the 981T, I own one and in order to get the windage correct, had to drift the rear sight damn near to the edge of the barrel. I might end up scoping it, but truth be told, I'm not that impressed with it. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Marlin Model 60 and CZ 452

aside from the 981T, Marlin over the years built the 81, 781, 881, and 81TS. All of these rifles were tube fed bolt guns. Remington built a large amount over the years. Also take a good look at the Winchester 72A––-essentially a tube fed variant of the Winchester 69A
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

the 981T was built until last year, it has been replaced by the XT-22TR. Essentially same rifle but with a new stock and a Marlin version of the Accu-trigger

as to the 981T, I own one and in order to get the windage correct, had to drift the rear sight damn near to the edge of the barrel. I might end up scoping it, but truth be told, I'm not that impressed with it. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Marlin Model 60 and CZ 452

aside from the 981T, Marlin over the years built the 81, 781, 881, and 81TS. All of these rifles were tube fed bolt guns. Remington built a large amount over the years. Also take a good look at the Winchester 72A––-essentially a tube fed variant of the Winchester 69A

Yep^^^^  http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/323/products_id/72778
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Remington 582.  I've had one since i was a little kid and it is a great gun.  I see them occasionally for sale in the classifieds and various boards.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I posted this in your other threads but I'll leave this here for others to see..

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can find an early to mid 20th century Mossberg tube fed bolt gun, they are awesome.

My dad has one, the model escapes me at the moment, but it is big, like a full sized rifle. (wanna say it's from the 20s to the 40s)
It is almost like and old competition gun, or military trainer.
It has no sights, and a real distinct integral scope mount, and a monte carlo type stock. (I think it may have  had a peep sight in it's day)
Very light trigger, VERY light.

This rifle is dangerous accurate. I've several times seen him pop a sparrow at over 100 yards, cold, first try. Pop as in cloud of feathers.
Seen him make some other very impressive shots with it too, but the sparrow thing I've seen him repeat time after time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Remington 582.  I've had one since i was a little kid and it is a great gun.  I see them occasionally for sale in the classifieds and various boards.

This.  I have one that my grandfather bought.  It's one of my favorite .22lr rifles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you can find an early to mid 20th century Mossberg tube fed bolt gun, they are awesome.

My dad has one, the model escapes me at the moment, but it is big, like a full sized rifle. (wanna say it's from the 20s to the 40s)

It is almost like and old competition gun, or military trainer.

It has no sights, and a real distinct integral scope mount, and a monte carlo type stock. (I think it may have  had a peep sight in it's day)

Very light trigger, VERY light.

This rifle is dangerous accurate. I've several times seen him pop a sparrow at over 100 yards, cold, first try. Pop as in cloud of feathers.

Seen him make some other very impressive shots with it too, but the sparrow thing I've seen him repeat time after time.

I got one of these from my grandpa. Mossberg model 46b(b) with peep sight.

I can attest to their accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top