Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2010 5:57:54 AM EDT
Why would I want a Mil Spec tube vs. a civilian tube? what is the purpose? I am wanting to order a Magpul Stock and can't decide why it would be better or worse?
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Comerical can vary in size. Milspec is standard.

Comerical is extruded. Milspec is forged.

Mil spec is thinner (.02"). I feel my milspec stocks slide easier.

Many higher end stocks only come in milspec.

Chart
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Always go with mil spec. You will win every time!
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Civilian tubes should be eliminated just because of the confusion they cause
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Comerical can vary in size. Milspec is standard.

Comerical is extruded. Milspec is forged.

Mil spec is thinner (.02"). I feel my milspec stocks slide easier.

Many higher end stocks only come in milspec.

Chart

commercial could be forged or even milled.  there is no standard for commercial
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why would I want a Mil Spec tube vs. a civilian tube? what is the purpose? I am wanting to order a Magpul Stock and can't decide why it would be better or worse?

The milpec tube is built to a standard size. When you change stocks later (don't worry, you will) any stock made for a milspec tube will slide right on without trouble.

The commercial sized tube is not built to a standard size and can cause fitting trouble when placing a stock onto the tube. Sometimes too tight, sometimes too loose.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The only reason and I do mean THE ONLY REASON commercial tubes were ever put on rifles to begin with is they were cheaper to produce meaning the manufacturers made more money on the end product.
You will also find the commercial size buttstocks were also very cheap copies of the original collapsing stock and many have failed and been replaced over the years.
At least the quality of the commercial buttstocks has improved in recent years.
A classic abomination of pure greed and I agree the things should be eliminated completely.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Milspec.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only reason and I do mean THE ONLY REASON commercial tubes were ever put on rifles to begin with is they were cheaper to produce meaning the manufacturers made more money on the end product.
You will also find the commercial size buttstocks were also very cheap copies of the original collapsing stock and many have failed and been replaced over the years.
A classic abomination of pure greed and I agree the things should be eliminated completely.

Keep in mind that milspec is milspec because it was contracted to the lowest bidder.

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind that milspec is milspec because it was contracted to the lowest bidder, that could meet the quality standards and materiels demanded for the military service.

Add what was left off, in blue

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind that milspec is milspec because it was contracted to the lowest bidder, that could meet the quality standards and materiels demanded for the military service.

Add what was left off, in blue

And again I'll emphasize lowest bidder.  If the material costs remain relatively constant...the chincing will have to be with the skilled labor, or lack thereof, of the parts manufactured.  Then there's always the chance of materials going up after a contract was granted.  Not arguing, just giving the complete picture from the manufacturers perspective.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Once those parts arrive, they're inspected and held to the specifications they were contracted to be produced at.  If the parts don't fall into that specification, they're rejected.  Sure, mil-spec doesn't automatically mean it's an A!, high quality product, however whatever the specs are, you know the products that pass it are going to be consistent and predictable.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
if its the CTR stock, get the commercial...... it comes with a "recoil pad"..... not much of a recoil reducer (not that an ar needs one) but it fits in my shoulder well
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

if its the CTR stock, get the commercial...... it comes with a "recoil pad"..... not much of a recoil reducer (not that an ar needs one) but it fits in my shoulder well

The Mil-spec stock comes standard with the rubber buttpad now too. Mine was purchased that way several months back brand new. I purchased a DSA mil-spec buffer tube/receiver extension to go with it.
$19.95 @ AIM Surplus

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDSABuffer&groupid=57

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top