Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2009 6:19:08 AM EDT
I shot a 9mm Hi-point carbine with the Advanced Tech stock yesterday. Considering the real bad reputation the pistols have, i was very surprised with this gun. Very accurate, great action and seemed well built. These are very cheap and American made.

is this worth a look for a plinker?

does anyone have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn right.

Hard to beat for a cheap 9mm plinking rifle.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#2]

There better than a sharp stick, that's for sure, but it's not the kind of quality I'd bet my life on.

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy one.

Buy extra mags.

Put a cheap red dot on it.

Shoot the shit out of it.

I've put several thousand rounds through mine and it is a lot of fun.  You will get questions from other shooters about it because it is different, I usually offer to let them run a mag or two through it.

Mine has been very resilient.  It gets cleaned every thousand rounds (sometimes more) and it really doesn't seem to care.

The firing pin spring on mine slowly crapped out, I called Hi Point, told them what was happening, and there was a new one in the mailbox a few days later free of charge.  Hard to beat customer service like that.

Don't let the nay sayers sway you away from buying one.  You can buy a large chunk of (now more expensive) ammo with the difference in price if you'd bought a more expensive type.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one for awhile, I never really had any trouble with it, and ended up trading it to a buddy for a well used G22 (plus some money).  

He still has it and put one of those new stocks on it.    It seems better with that stock, the factory one seemed to pass the shockwaves from the round directly to your face and shoulder.    The recoil wasn't bad, but the vibrations kind of hurt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
They were selling the pistols for $149 at the Knoxville Gun show yesterday.. the .40 were $179.. For that price buy a couple and have at it..

My boss was told by a retailer that with the lifetime warranty use it, abuse it and just bring it back for a new one when it quits working.. An earlier post I read a long time ago talked about if you took it apart to clean it, it had a tendancy to stop working afterward - so never clean it..

Brian
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if this is true now but when I worked in a gunshop a few years ago I sold a lot of these carbines. I cannot remember ever taking back one unless it was being traded in on something else. People just seemed to buy them and shoot the shit out of them. The manufacturer is here in Ohio and has a real neat program for small LE Dept. Or at least did. He (The owner) would give some of the carbines as well as train somebody from the department as an armorer and do it for very little in way of compensation. A real neat thing when I first heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 40S&W and it ran great, but I couldn't get and Advance stock for the 40 so I sold it and got the 9mm.  I put this stock on it and it now looks like this minus the scope and laser.  I runs great No problems at all. For the money you can't beat them. It throws lead as good as the Beretta for less money.

Went from this...

to this...
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
They may be rough and but-ass ugly, but all reports are that they are very reliable.  -  go for it
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell yeah, they are a great plinker if u could my hands on more 9mm i would buy one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
We love ours.

9mm carbine. Outshoot my buddy's Beretta Storm. Pisses him off.

Warranty is great, American made, cheap.

I don't think it's only a plinker.

The carbine was made for Ohio State Troopers, IIRC.

I just got another one as a truck gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
They are pretty nice... only problem is the 10 round mags... that kinda sucks for 9mm.  After taking a very close look at them I decided that if I were to ever purchase a pistol carbine I'd go for a Kel-Tec Sub2000 that uses 92FS mags.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I like mine but I wish there were some mag options..
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are pretty nice... only problem is the 10 round mags... that kinda sucks for 9mm.  After taking a very close look at them I decided that if I were to ever purchase a pistol carbine I'd go for a Kel-Tec Sub2000 that uses 92FS mags.

+1
I have a 995, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go for a Kel-Tec in glock 17 mags.

995 is a decent little carbine though in 9mm
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had one for awhile, I never really had any trouble with it, and ended up trading it to a buddy for a well used G22 (plus some money).  

He still has it and put one of those new stocks on it.    It seems better with that stock, the factory one seemed to pass the shockwaves from the round directly to your face and shoulder.    The recoil wasn't bad, but the vibrations kind of hurt.

+1

I picked up one several years ago and with the factory stock it was not pleasant to shoot. i picked up one of the AT stocks last year and it made a world of difference. now it's fun to shoot and it looks a helluva lot better too.

the 10 round mag capacity is disappointing but the only other option is the promag 15 rounder so it's pay your money and take your chances.

FWIW: I did get one promag 15 rounder and it works pretty well with only an occasional ftf but with the AT stock the promag will not fit (the AT pistol grip is longer than the factory grip) without modification to the grip spacer that comes with the promag.

If I could find one for a reasonably cheap price I get a Marlin Camp 9 and go all tacti-cool on it. Had one years ago it was reliable and shot great, it just didn't have the eye-candy factor, it had more of a redheaded step-child look to it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have put thousands through my 4095.  Works just fine and its plenty accurate.  I have replaced the firing pin once, but hey most of the ar folks keep a spare pin with them at all times  

I had one batch of reload bullets that I bought that it didn't like feeding(had to help it out sometimes) but other than that its fed everything like a charm.  

I keep mine under the bed with a surefire mounted to it for a quick grab home defense gun.  Great truck and varmint gun too.  Groundhogs don't stand a chance when I catch them in the garden
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a beatup 995. Ugly, uncomfortable, and reliable. It is even accurate!

The only folks that knock the Hi-Point handguns are the folks that can afford something else. Everybody I know that actually owns a Hi-Point pistol like it and praise it's reliability.

Personaly, I don't like Hi-Points, carbines or pistols, but I wont begrudge the fact that despite looks and ergonomics, they tend to work great.

Don't know that I could bring myself to buy a Hi-Point anything, but I can say that the carbine I got in a trade deal works as well as anything else in my armory.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
IF I had to choose between an mp5 or a Hi Point, id choose the mp5, but since I cant afford one of those, It would be the Hipoint. I do have a AR that shoots in 9mm, Im still working through the bugs and the reliability is no where near close.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my carbine.

From another thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=876593

My mom and I went shooting today.  We both took our Hi-point 995 carbines and had a blast.

I have a Rock Mount bipod attached to my 995 as well as a red dot sight/scope as needed.  My mom's 995 is just a basic one but she's hoping to get a red dot for it.

First I did some close quarters shooting and magazine changes.  Everything went very smoothly.  The bipod springs vibrated a bit when the carbine was fired but did not affect accuracy, gun operation or the shooter.  The bipod weight also helps keep the muzzle on target and allows for quick target reengagement.

I would load one mag up with 4 rounds and the other with 2.  Then, with the 4 rounder in the gun I would fire two double taps and, while moving to a new position, eject the empty mag and load the 2 round mag into the gun before firing another double tap.  I did several different variations of this drill.  The carbine was quick to dump the empty mag and easy to load a fresh one.  With the red dot sight all I had to do was point and click and a hole would appear where the dot was at.  Perfect accuracy.

Next I replaced the red dot with the scope and deployed the bipod.  The scope is a Wally World special but is a decent scope for my purposes.  After getting it sighted in at 50 yards I set up four clay pigeons on the 50 yard board and loaded four rounds into a mag, one round for each target.  A challenge of sorts: four shots, four kills.

After getting settled in I let the four rounds fly.  The results:

The 995 is a splendedly accurate little gun.  And fun to shoot!  The poor man's AR-15.  I've put over 2,000 rounds through mine without a single problem.

Just for kicks and giggles, here's my mom shooting her 995 with brass caught in mid-air!

She did well with the iron sights though they strained her eyes a bit, hence the want of a red dot sight.

All in all a great day of shooting!
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love my carbine.

From another thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=876593

My mom and I went shooting today.  We both took our Hi-point 995 carbines and had a blast.

I have a Rock Mount bipod attached to my 995 as well as a red dot sight/scope as needed.  My mom's 995 is just a basic one but she's hoping to get a red dot for it.

First I did some close quarters shooting and magazine changes.  Everything went very smoothly.  The bipod springs vibrated a bit when the carbine was fired but did not affect accuracy, gun operation or the shooter.  The bipod weight also helps keep the muzzle on target and allows for quick target reengagement.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/shooting5-21-09003.jpg

I would load one mag up with 4 rounds and the other with 2.  Then, with the 4 rounder in the gun I would fire two double taps and, while moving to a new position, eject the empty mag and load the 2 round mag into the gun before firing another double tap.  I did several different variations of this drill.  The carbine was quick to dump the empty mag and easy to load a fresh one.  With the red dot sight all I had to do was point and click and a hole would appear where the dot was at.  Perfect accuracy.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/shooting5-21-09005.jpg

Next I replaced the red dot with the scope and deployed the bipod.  The scope is a Wally World special but is a decent scope for my purposes.  After getting it sighted in at 50 yards I set up four clay pigeons on the 50 yard board and loaded four rounds into a mag, one round for each target.  A challenge of sorts: four shots, four kills.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/shooting5-21-09011.jpg

After getting settled in I let the four rounds fly.  The results:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/shooting5-21-09010.jpg

The 995 is a splendedly accurate little gun.  And fun to shoot!  The poor man's AR-15.  I've put over 2,000 rounds through mine without a single problem.

Just for kicks and giggles, here's my mom shooting her 995 with brass caught in mid-air!
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/shooting5-21-09001.jpg
She did well with the iron sights though they strained her eyes a bit, hence the want of a red dot sight.

All in all a great day of shooting!

Nice writeup !

What's up with the modern clothes ?
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[What's up with the modern clothes ?

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I shot a 9mm Hi-point carbine with the Advanced Tech stock yesterday. Considering the real bad reputation the pistols have, i was very surprised with this gun. Very accurate, great action and seemed well built. These are very cheap and American made.

is this worth a look for a plinker?

does anyone have any experience with them?

Yes, I have one of the earliest ones made and they're outstanding plinkers.  With my reloads, it will just about punch every round through the same hole at 50 yards (using 115 grain Winchester silver tip hollow points).  Hi Point also has a no BS warranty.  If it breaks or otherwise doesn't work as it should, send it back and they fix it for free.  Since I've owned it has NEVER had a jam or misfire.  Not even once.  Very reliable.

The weak points are the stock and the iron sights.  The factory stock is ergonomic but a bit flimsy; it won't tolerate much abuse.  A worn or damaged stock will also degrade accuracy to the point of the rifle being unusable.  The ATI is a viable alternative but may require some fitting.  The Hi Point's action is sensitive to pressure.  If the fit is too tight, it won't feed.  In any case, the ATI stock is much sturdier.  I find that the iron sights don't provide that good of a sight picture and aren't that stable.  I strongly, stridently recommend you get a scope base from Hi Point (or, if you're using the ATI, I think it has picatinny rails on it) and mount a red dot on it.  I'm using an el cheapo Barska 5 moa red dot on mine, and it's the perfect red dot for a cheap plinker.  You will never realize the rifle's full potential with the mediocre, somewhat unstable iron sights.

The trigger is a bit heavy, but it's not too bad.  I think there may be some aftermarket triggers for it, but I've never cared enough to look that hard, truth be told.

Some small town, rural police departments that didn't or couldn't spring for AR-15s used them as patrol rifles / trunk guns.  I think they also make a good home defense carbine, as they can be fired more accurately than a 9mm handgun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I own a beatup 995. Ugly, uncomfortable, and reliable. It is even accurate!

The only folks that knock the Hi-Point handguns are the folks that can afford something else. Everybody I know that actually owns a Hi-Point pistol like it and praise it's reliability.

I had the .45 ACP Hi Point pistol for a while, and yes, it was pretty accurate and utterly reliable.  I ended up trading it on an RIA 1911, not because there was anything wrong with the HP, but because the grips didn't fit my hand very well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a 9mm hipoint and it was unreliable so I got rid of it. Also Gun tests tried one and it failed. The second one they got was ok.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had a 9mm hipoint and it was unreliable so I got rid of it. Also Gun tests tried one and it failed. The second one they got was ok.

pistol or carbine? we are talking about carbines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes I was talking carbines. I now have a storm, Ruger pc9 and a vector uzi.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes I was talking carbines. I now have a storm, Ruger pc9 and a vector uzi.

I find that my HiPoint shoots as well or better than any Storm I've ever seen costs 2/3 less.  Plus mine has never jammed since I've owned it, literally.

I'd love to have a PC9 though.  Too bad they're selling for 3 times what they were new
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#27]
has anyone ever seen one in stainless or chrome? I have found one for sale and it is either chrome or stainless by the pics. Or is this a refinish job?

edit: found it. It is a stock chrome finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top