Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2008 6:37:58 AM EDT
I purchased a surplus Browning Hi-Power from AIM back in the late '90's.  It was a good gun except the sights stunk and the trigger was worse.  I decided to have Novak customize the pistol.  Some pistol puritans will complain that I customized a Belgian made HP.

Link Posted: 9/28/2008 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Nicely done! I too bought one of those back in '98, but I never got over the trigger slap and sold it. I wish I had done what you did; now you have an heirloom with real history and character.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]
As a devout BHP fan, I love it.

How much for the work done, if you don't mind sharin'?
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I got this package:

Novak Special Ops BHP Package

Novak 3 Dot Night Sight System
Sight In
Inspection of all Components for Serviceability
Crown Barrel
Hand Matte Front with Milled Border around Serial Number
Hand Matte Back Strap
Hand Matte Grip Screws
Reliability Package
Novak "NO BITE®" Hammer Modification
Trigger Job
Option to Remove Magazine Disconnect
Carry Bevel Treatment
Bevel Magazine Well
Novak Logo Marked on Slide
Refinish Bead Blast & Blue
Spegel  or Mil-Tac G-10 Silver/Black Diagonal Grips

$ 1195.00 + Shipping

I did not get the Carry Bevel Treatment, but I added the safety.

Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#4]
You have my gun? really close, was wanting to get the checkering done to the front and back strap. Really like how yours turned out, I just can't bring myself to carry a HP If something happens i would rather they get one of my Glocks for a while and not a HP.

Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I got this package:

Novak Special Ops BHP Package

Novak 3 Dot Night Sight System
Sight In
Inspection of all Components for Serviceability
Crown Barrel
Hand Matte Front with Milled Border around Serial Number
Hand Matte Back Strap
Hand Matte Grip Screws
Reliability Package
Novak "NO BITE®" Hammer Modification
Trigger Job
Option to Remove Magazine Disconnect
Carry Bevel Treatment
Bevel Magazine Well
Novak Logo Marked on Slide
Refinish Bead Blast & Blue
Spegel  or Mil-Tac G-10 Silver/Black Diagonal Grips

$ 1195.00 + Shipping

I did not get the Carry Bevel Treatment, but I added the safety.

Much obliged.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You have my gun? really close, was wanting to get the checkering done to the front and back strap. Really like how yours turned out, I just can't bring myself to carry a HP If something happens i would rather they get one of my Glocks for a while and not a HP.

i164.photobucket.com/albums/u10/python00/th_DSC03062.jpg

Yeah. I'm like you.  This is NOT a carry gun.  That's what $500 polymers are for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks good.
You sure got your money's worth. As far as purists go, all you did was make an outstanding firearm even better.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
very nice
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful gun........I want to send my practical in sometime soon for a job similar to that
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i164.photobucket.com/albums/u10/python00/th_DSC03062.jpg</a>

Yeah. I'm like you.  This is NOT a carry gun.  That's what $500 polymers are for.

Just curius as to why?
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Belgium Hi Powers are 550 and up for the basic model. then after some custom work you hit the 1k mark pretty fast. The real truth is each of my Hi Powers has its own character and a Glock to me is more like a tool I can count on, but I can replace it with one exactly like it for $400-$500.

Link Posted: 9/28/2008 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
belgium police gun, did it have a # on the front strap?

Yes it did.  I didn't write the number down but you can see that there is a number in one of the before photos.

There is a 5 digit serial number stamped on the barrel, slide and frame.  I photoshopped it out for the post.

Just curius as to why?

I feel my Hi-Power is a more than a tool and has value in it the way it is.  I would not want it to have harm come to it by CCW.  There are many other tools just as suited for CCW that it wouldn't hurt to get all scratched up, wear marks etc.  That's all.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curius as to why?

That's strange.  You know you can have it refinished then the finish wears off right?  

I carry a Wilson CQB compact stainless.  I think they go for $2500 now.  I even set it on the bare rough table at the range .  Why the hell would you spend all that coin for a gun to be made up to snuff for carry and then make it a bench warmer.  That just doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
If you own a sports car do you drive it every day or do you find it more comforting having a daily driver that you do not worry about when its setting in the parking lot?
When its legal to carry my firearm too all the places I go then I will carry my upper shelf stuff until that time comes I am not leaving large amounts of money sitting in a vehicle that can be stolen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#17]

I would have kept the original bluing, and I really dislike the Novak logo and texture treatment on the front and backstraps. However to each his own.

The Trigger job and sights seem like a great improvement. Overall it looks like a heck of a fine fighting pistol you have now.

Quoted:
I purchased a surplus Browning Hi-Power from AIM back in the late '90's.  It was a good gun except the sights stunk and the trigger was worse.  I decided to have Novak customize the pistol.  Some pistol puritans will complain that I customized a Belgian made HP.

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC02644.jpg
i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC09708.jpg

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC02646.jpg
i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC09709.jpg

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC02645-1.jpg
i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/NovakHP.jpg

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC02648.jpg
i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC09716.jpg

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC09713-1.jpg

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC09715.jpg

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/DSC09706.jpg
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Just curius as to why?

That's strange.  You know you can have it refinished then the finish wears off right?  

I carry a Wilson CQB compact stainless.  I think they go for $2500 now.  I even set it on the bare rough table at the range hock.gif.  Why the hell would you spend all that coin for a gun to be made up to snuff for carry and then make it a bench warmer.  That just doesn't make sense to me.

You definately can use it as a carry gun. My dad used to carry it when he would work as a undercover police officer in the 70's. I have it now and it still looks pretty good.

For me personally I don'y carry it because I prefer my lighter Kahr PM9.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful work. The only thing I would have done different is the hammer.  I'm a fan of the bobbed hammers, the hole punched ones look funky to me.  I plan on sending mine, when I acquire one I like, to Heirloom Precision for the SRT package.

Yours looks great though, they did awesome work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice pistol. You will be very happy with the money invested.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks very nice. I will probably eventually send my 1911 to them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Beautiful piece.  I love my HP
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I love everything about the Hipower.  Except the trigger.

If mine had a nice trigger, I'd be so in love with it.  But I don't think I'm going to drop that much money to send it to them.  

You've got a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet pistol there!
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I love everything about the Hipower.  Except the trigger.

If mine had a nice trigger, I'd be so in love with it.  But I don't think I'm going to drop that much money to send it to them.  

You've got a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet pistol there!

So, send it to Novak and have him do the trigger and get rid of the magazine safety.  That's part of the reason for the crappy trigger.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm really pleased with my Novak custom BHP Hi-Power (back when Kurt Wickman was still there), as well as my Novak custom Colt Government Model, Combat Commander and Officer's ACP (done by Joe Bonar, RIP).
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a class='textLink' href='http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u10/python00/th_DSC03062.jpg' target='_new'>i164.photobucket.com/albums/u10/python00/th_DSC03062.jpg</a></a>

Just curius as to why?

I carry a Wilson CQB compact stainless.  I think they go for $2500 now.  I even set it on the bare rough table at the range .  Why the hell would you spend all that coin for a gun to be made up to snuff for carry and then make it a bench warmer.  That just doesn't make sense to me.

You definately can use it as a carry gun. My dad used to carry it when he would work as a undercover police officer in the 70's. I have it now and it still looks pretty good.

For me personally I don'y carry it because I prefer my lighter Kahr PM9.

Its a fine Pistol non the less and had I spent the cash making it all pretty I'm not sure  I would want to bugger it up either
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#27]
That is the nicest BHP I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 90's Mk.III that I've upgraded over the years since the 80's. First I had a smith put a trigger stop in it & take out the mag safety. Then I shipped it to Novak for a set of 3-dot sights. Now my gunsmith is installing the following.

Bar-Sto barrel
C&S ambi safety selector
C&S trigger
C&S hammer/sear group
C&S extended slide release
new springs throughout

I should be getting it shortly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top